Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I am a "newbie" & I need your help >

I am a "newbie" & I need your help

I am a "newbie" & I need your help

Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 PM

Maybe you should search the topic "my first quilt". I dont think to many of us made masterpieces the first time. That takes along time. We've all been in your shoes. All a person needs is scissors and a needle when you get right down to it. The rest is just extras. good luck with your first quilt cant wait to see what you make!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM

My first quilt was a precut quilt...I learned alot by having the fabric already cut.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 PM

I just bought a brother SQ9050 at walmart for 200, I really like it. Has a 20 dollar rebate until the 30th
Old 09-27-2011, 05:45 PM

you can actually start like I did. Had a square piece of cardboard that I traced onto the fabric and then used a scissors to cut them all out. And I don't have avery expensive machine. I bought the one I am using now at an auction for 10 or 15 dollars. Got the instruction manual copied by the lady who bought the other one that had a manual. The only machine I have that was bought brand new is a Singer Stylist 533. My DH bought it for me at least 25 yrs ago when I sewed all my clothes, my mil's clothes, all 4 of my kids clothes and some for the neighbors. If it weren't for auction sales and rummage sales and Jann's coupons and Hobby Lobby coupons I wouldn't have what I have today.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 PM

No Joann's & Hooby Lobby nearest me was just destroyed by a storm. They will rebuilding soon. The closest fabric store is Hancocks. I will have to check around & see if we have anything else close by. :-)
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 PM

I noticed you said you were living on a budget. I would recommend you checking out some of the scrap users blogs on the internet. I have been hand quilting for years and have learnt you can spend just about any amount of money on making a quilt, that you want to. I have also learnt, that you can make a very nice, scrap quilt for just a little of nothing. You can see some I have made where I spend over $200 for the quilt top on a 50th Double Wedding Ring or one I have just finished using Goodwill store 100 % fabrics. There are lots of wonderful, quilter's blogs on the internet. Just browse till you find some you like and see how they make them. Wishing you lots of luck on your new hobby.....
Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Welcome! Look to see if you have a sewing machine repair shop nearby - sometimes they are also a vacuum cleaner repair shop. Tell the shop that you are on a budget and would like a nice, reliable, basic sewing machine. HTH
Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Hello and welcome from the Arkansas Ozarks.
Happy quilting.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 PM

I too am just starting, and some things have been given to me, or sold to me very inexpensively. Just let those around you know what you are planning to do and help might arrive. I did buy a basic new sewing machine at JoAnn's simply because I didn't know what to look for in a used.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Dear TnBecky, Hancocks has a lot of well priced fabrics. There is always scraps for sale. Of course I haven't even started either, but I have been doing my homework, e.g., shopping for great fabric at great prices! My most favorite hobby, hunting for a deal!