Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What machine do you use for FMQ? >

What machine do you use for FMQ?

What machine do you use for FMQ?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM

I just bought a Janome 8077. It has not arrived yet. Other than that I have vintage machines. I could do FMQ on at least one of them which lowers the feed dogs, but I am hoping the Janome will do the trick. I also want it for machine applique and things like that since my vintage machines don't do satin or zigzag without a big attachment which is a pain.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 AM

I have the Viking Mega quilter it has a 9in throat but they also have a 18in one. Great machine; very fast and easy to use. I just bought the Viking Ruby w/embroidery, which has a 9 1/2 in throat and you can now get the interchangeable walking foot that allows you do zig zag and reverse and do lots of fancy stitches. All are great machines.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 AM

I also have the Bernina 430 and I added the stitch regulator, which is fantastic. Throat room is not as great as I would like, but I can quilt a fairly large top or do it in sections.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by lewisl
Think about a Juki--I have a TL98Q but there is a newer model, the 2010. I haven't seen this one yet but there may be something online about it or you could check it out at a dealer (our local Singer store carries Juki, for some odd reason).

The Juki has a larger throat space which makes quilting easier, but for me two huge advantages of the machine are (1) There is a thread cutter on the food pedal (two separate button things.) Saves a HUGE amount of time.
and (2) Knee lift presser foot lifter. Also saves time and makes sewing so much easier. You would not believe how much time these two helpers save.

Only a straight stitch with reverse, if you can live with that. These machines are available from online stores at the best prices if you can run them down. I paid about $800 for mine at Pocono Sew & Vac and it was selling for way more at the Houston Quilt Show.

LL
I have the new Juki 2010Q and it is the BOMB! This is a straight stitch only semi industrial machine. I was doing my FMQ on the Pfaff 7570 and I could not believe how much my FMQ improved by using the Juki. I highly recommend this machine and the price is reasonable. I paid $749 with free shipping from raichert.com last year. The price has gone up I'm sure but I bet it can still be bought under $900.

If/when I ever get my Grace frame set up, it will go on there. I have a Babylock Serenade whose harp is almost the same size but I haven't tried FMQ on it, since my Juki stays set up just for FMQ.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 AM

I use my Janome Memory Craft 9700, although I haven't done much FMQ. I guess I just don't want to mess up something that I've spent a lot of time on. I will get more brave, though, because I do want to learn how to be good at it.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 AM

I use my vintage Featherweight for FM quilting. By using a thin batting like Warm and Natural, I can do a queen/king.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Okay, right now I use an Innova 26" longarm. But before that I used my Bernina 440QE with the BSR. I don't think I would have been able to FMQ with the BSR! And until I got the longarm I quilted all large quilts (except for one) in sections using the methods in Marti Michel's book, Machine Quilting in Sections.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 AM

i use Juki machines - i wouldn't buy anything else and i actually sold bernina for 6 years and never used my employee discount to buy one.

i started with the 98Q sitting down but have since moved it to a frame.

now i use the Juki F600 for piecing and sit down quilting.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 AM

I do my FMQ on my Janome 6500 . . . . love it .... no problems. ;-)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 AM

Pfaff 1222E because it does an excellent trouble free stitch with or without the feed dogs dropped and has IDT when you need it. Also because of the very large harp for a home machine. My Viking 770 also does a great job of free motion. Even my bottom line Elna 2100 does a good job after I even out the tension settings.