Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Question - >

New Question -

New Question -

Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 AM

BLADE SHARPENER! It was an ugly chapter in my quilting experience.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Quilting Calculator, rotary blade sharpener, Fiskars scissor sharpener, Simplicity Rotary strip cutter (a gift), Pintastic (another gift), and I'm starting to think my 2 1/2 in strip die for my Accuquilt Go. I've had it for months and have never used it even though I have made quilts that required 2 1/2" strips. Got it out of the package the other day, decided it was too much work and put it back and cut the strips with my rotary cutter & ruler.
Please take the time to learn how to use the strip die. The 2-1/2" die is the one I use the most. I think you'll learn to love it! It's perfect for binding, and i also use it for sashing and some border work. Since I figured out how to use it, I've bought other strip dies, and I can use them to cut squares by the dozen, too.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
I made the mistake of buying one of the ring holders for my rulers. You have to take all the ones in front off to get to the one you need. Now I use it to hold stencils. What a waste.
Forgot about that! I have one of those too and it now hangs in the closet, all by itself, empty!!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Please take the time to learn how to use the strip die. The 2-1/2" die is the one I use the most. I think you'll learn to love it! It's perfect for binding, and i also use it for sashing and some border work. Since I figured out how to use it, I've bought other strip dies, and I can use them to cut squares by the dozen, too.
I haven't given up on it YET! I will at least try it before I decide whether I will keep it or not!!! I haven't made one cut with it yet . . .
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Totally agree with you here. Me too!

Originally Posted by catlinye_maker View Post
Rotating cutting mat. It was expensive, and it's still easier to turn the piece I'm trimming than it is to turn the mat.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by catlinye_maker View Post
Rotating cutting mat. It was expensive, and it's still easier to turn the piece I'm trimming than it is to turn the mat.
I bought one, didn't like it because it didn't turn nicely for me (operator error I've since learned), sold it, then a couple of months later decided I really wanted one, had a 60% off coupon for JA's and got one. I actually use it more now that I know the proper technique. Not my worst purchase ever!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Well I agree about the blade sharpener. It really does not work. I have heard that the electric one is much better. I have so many gadgets it is hard to say whoch one I don't like. I don't use them all but I have them when I need them. Luann
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Worst gadget? has to be thimble...I just can't use one...been hand sewing for 30 years or more...can't use a thimble...I'd rather poke my fingers!

I bought two machines at Walmart...Singer 2662 (was on the sale table at Christmas...marked that the feed dogs didn't go up... one turn of the hand wheel backwards...up they came..great basic machine). I also bought a Brother SE270D embroidery/sewing machine...and I love that little machine! I did have a problem with timing on it...third time to dealer...I finally figured out my error...read the manual...I was embroidering with 50 wt thread in the bobbin...instructions said to use only 60 or 90 wt...ooops! Not one problem since.

On the Singer...had the original buyer read the instructions...she/he would have seen where it said to bring the feed dogs back up, you had to not only flip the lever, you had to turn the hand wheel 1/2 a turn backwards, then forwards...I found that out when I first got it home (my machine was packed for a move)...and I was trying to set the needle in an exact spot on the fabric..turned the hand wheel backwards to bring the needle back up to move the fabric...when I went to set the needle again...the feed dogs popped up...best 45.00 I ever spent on a new machine!

I learned a lesson with that one..and the Brother I got a few months later...read the instruction manual before using the first time!

I now have a Singer Futura CE150 & love it. I use it mainly for embroidery...and my Little Brother Disney machine...it's my favorite for sewing...self threading (really...you pop in the cartridge & it threads the needle!), and cuts the thread at the end of the stitching (just press a button). When embroidering...it cuts the thread at the end of each color run...Nice because the cut threads are all pulled to the underside...do fuzzies on the top.

Originally Posted by JoantheQuilter View Post
I still can't believe there are people out there who buy a sewing machine at WALMART and expect it to last like the GOOD Brother sewing machine that can be bought (at an expensive price, yes, but they will last!!!) at your local Sewing Shop. Please remember...there are cheap brands of just about everything. You get what you pay for.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 AM

I think my least fav items are - ruler with a lip to hang onto the end of the table (threw it away), a ruler in a bright florecent color (Bright neon yellow) someone told me fabric would show up better etc I hate it. I also hate anything made by fiskers seriously htere stuff is garbage the rotery mats dull your blades and most of the scissors dont last ...
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 AM

I started with one of those cheap walmart singers - I didn't know if I would really like quilting and just wanted to try it - it worked great for months - then decided to upgrade - husband talked me into a Sapphire 875Q - I was scared of that machine - was afraid I would break it - now 2 yrs later - I love my Sapphire - still have the cheapo walmart machine and its a great backup when I send mine in for maintenance - since then have added a longarm to my mix. I think the only thing I regret buying are some books that I don't use and some of the marking pens that disappear before I finish - I know have the frixion pens and love them. I guess thats it.