Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Company Response re: Alternatives to Starch Products >
  • Company Response re: Alternatives to Starch Products

• Company Response re: Alternatives to Starch Products

Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this information! Off to WalMart now!
    Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Christine-
    I was at Hancock's today and they were really pushing Mary Ellen's, they had a ton of it so I can understand the need to sell some of it. But at $6 a bottle I thought it a bit pricey. One was lavender scented and I almost bought it, but decided it was still too expensive.

i experienced the same response when i visited a hancocks fabric store recently. yes they are trying to push sales.
    Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Guess I need to go check what I bought! Thanks for the info!!
    Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 AM

I have Magic Sizing light body. Who knew I was buying correctly all this time. I didn't til now. Thanks for the information.
    Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Wow - they gave a great response to your question/concern!

Although I am generally a member of the unwashed masses, I recently decided I'd best wash several yards of reds, dark blues and a couple of blacks that I am using in a current project. Normally, I use Best Press as I work (which I buy by the gallon when it is on sale, making it much less expensive than the 16 oz bottles most LQS have), but as I had so much pressing to do and had a can of Magic Sizing in the cupboard, I decided to give it a try. I found that it worked very well - iron glides over fabric, wrinkles are easily removed, and the fabric has nice body afterwards.

Guess it's a good thing I never did get to that project I originally bought the Magic Sizing for - an applique technique where you spray the sizing into a cup and use a small brush to fold edges back.
    Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Christine-
    I was at Hancock's today and they were really pushing Mary Ellen's, they had a ton of it so I can understand the need to sell some of it. But at $6 a bottle I thought it a bit pricey. One was lavender scented and I almost bought it, but decided it was still too expensive. Thank you for posting the information about starch. I printed it out and will keep it for future reference. I like to use spray starch on wall-hanging quilts. Now I know which one to buy!
    It may be competition item for the month to see which store sells the most of a certain item.
    Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM

I use starch ALL the time and I don't have a problem with silverfish. If you have a silverfish problem BEFORE you use starch, then you might need to find an alternative product, but just because you use starch doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to have silverfish problems, IMHO.
    Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Thank you for sharing. I starched some pieces of my last quilt. The fabric is white/off-white pattern (background of the blocks). I bought some more of the same fabric for the borders and saw the starch had discolored the fabric!

I do not like the smell of it either. I can't wait to get it one and wash it, and the ironing board.

I liked the way it made the pieces easier to square up but will not use starch again. I had downloaded a recipe to make some. I think I'll just use steam and pins.
    Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks for Sharing
    Old 02-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
    Thank you for sharing. I starched some pieces of my last quilt. The fabric is white/off-white pattern (background of the blocks). I bought some more of the same fabric for the borders and saw the starch had discolored the fabric!

I do not like the smell of it either. I can't wait to get it one and wash it, and the ironing board.

I liked the way it made the pieces easier to square up but will not use starch again. I had downloaded a recipe to make some. I think I'll just use steam and pins.

Is it possible your iron was a little too hot and your fabric got scorched a little? I'll have to look out for discoloration. Hmmmm