Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Injury Protection >

Rotary Cutter Injury Protection

Rotary Cutter Injury Protection

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM

Default Oh

I feel your pain.....so sorry u r hurting
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Maybe curl your finger tips under like you do when cutting up vegies. I have a bad habit of droping my cutter onto my fingers. So sorry you are hurting.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 PM

you need the glove
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
I haveseveral cutting helpers that I would not be without! They are really gret and my fingers are never near the blade!!
You can check them out at quiltersslide lock.com and rule steady by keepquilting.au They are a bit pricy but I swear by them.
I just checked out the quiltersslidelock.com and I'm so very impressed!!!! What also amazed me is how reasonable the slide lock is priced! I anticipated it to cost more. I definitely will be purchasing the smaller one to give it a go. MIGHTY do you have both sizes? If so do use one size more than another?

VISTACRUISE ~ I'm so very sorry for your cut...I fear my rotary cutter and I think that is a good thing to always be wary of the thing. I have the Klutz glove which was gifted to me and I've never used it....I have the large Gripper and have never used it????? Now I think hearing of all the quilters who've hurt themselves I'm taking heed to all the warnings.

I hope you heal quickly and there is no nerve damage that others have experienced. Thank-you for starting this thread it gives so many a cautionary story to heed.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM

I think it's called the Klutz Glove. I really ought to get one for myself since I can't be trusted with sharp implements. I sliced off the end of my middle finger a few years ago. Since then, I've tried to be more careful.

Originally Posted by CRELLA View Post
Fons an porter has a safety gove i need to get one of then i believe jo anns carry them
Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 PM

I too thought it was funny on the tv show when they would put it on every time and remind guests as well. I now have the glove after several near misses. I do lose it on the table periodically but it really is a reminder for me to slow down and think. I can use it with any ruler,etc.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM

i'm so sorry you got hurt. yes, there are quilting gloves, i, too have sliced into my hand and had to get stitches so of course once i saw the gloves i knew i had to have them! may seem silly to some, my grandma laughed at me but once you've been injured you realize the value of them!!

http://www.createforless.com/Fons+_a...utm_medium=cse

Description: Fons & Porter's Klutz Gloves are a cut-resistant, but not cut-proof or puncture-resistant, glove that helps protect your non-cutting hand when you are using a rotary cutter. Stainless steel and synthetic fiber, fits right or left hand, natural rubber dots for gripping. They can be hand or machine washed in warm water with mild detergent and lay flat to dry.

Last edited by craftykk; 03-13-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM

Have you checked out these plastic safety shields http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...afetyShlds.php They are sort of like a guard rail for your ruler.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:09 PM

I use my Klutz glove all the time.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM

There is a hand sized, suction cupped handle which fits every ruler and keeps the hand up out of the way. I have not seen one for a while, though.