Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Moratorium on Fabric Spending >
  • Moratorium on Fabric Spending

• Moratorium on Fabric Spending

Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 AM

I did vow the same on January 1, 2012 in addition to reducing the size of my UFO "collection" -- have done amazingly well in each category. I took a class last month that required strips or a jelly roll - I had a roll in my stash that had been sitting for at least 5 years! I did have to purchase border material. Now the top is completed, I love it! Working from my stash forces me to be a bit more creative. And I have a huge bag of scraps to start a scrappy quilt. The UFO depletion was interrupted by b'day, babies and a graduation! Now that stuff is out of the way, I am back to the quest.
    Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 AM

I have really been trying to use only my stash for a couple years now, the only time I buy fabric is for a theme quilt ( made a pink cowgirl quilt for GD)....but I think the stash fairy comes once a week and does a refill as the closet does not seem to be emptying !!!!!!
    Old 08-01-2012, 06:42 AM

I also decided not to just keep buying material for my stash. Went through all my fabrics and weeded out fabrics that I knew I would never use. Donated it to a group that makes quilts for charity. If you think you can look at fabric places on internet or physical store and not buy, you are wrong(weak like me,as it happened), just delete those adds, then make a list buying only what you need to finish a project when you do go to a store. Since I still have about 10 quilts to make in different stages of material, plan on buying what is needed to finish these, then give away all left overs and take up another less expensive hobby. Good luck to all you that are trying to break your fabric addiction.
    Old 08-01-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by newbiequilter
    I took a class last month that required strips or a jelly roll - I had a roll in my stash that had been sitting for at least 5 years! I did have to purchase border material. Now the top is completed, I love it!
    Do post a photo! Inquiring quilting minds want to see!!!
    Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 AM

December 2012 will mark 2yrs on my self-imposed fabric "diet". A day of re-organization actually made me feel ill,
    going through all the beautiful fabic I had. It made me realize i needed to use up alot of what I had, I'm happy to say I've used some larger pieces for backing. The only purchases have been 2: both large amounts for a back. Oh, and batting!
    Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 AM

I too have been on a buying freeze, not of my choice, just can't afford it right now. LOL I have used up alot of my stash and now I have run out of some of the basics like WOW and other blenders. I keep hoping the fabric fairyies have hid some fabric and I just haven't found it yet (hey it could happen). LOL But I have made do with what I have the only things I have bought is a couple of zippers and some velcro for purses and tote bags so I think I'm doing good. For xmas I told hubby I want to shop for fabric.
    Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 AM

I was able to do it for 2 years! In that time I produced more than 100 charity projects!But I will admit that more was donated to me! That's how the stash replenishes itself. The more I give the more I get!
    Old 08-01-2012, 08:34 AM

I took the pledge, too, and can honestly say I have hoarded NO fabric. I bought 2 fat quarters to make a mug rug to go with a beautiful cup for a special friend's gift and I wanted the fabric to be just so. Other than that, the only other piece I bought was an end of the bolt which JoAnns told me because it had the sku# hand written in they would probably never get it again. It's very pretty with crosses and I bought it to make the Church Lady's Apron. I bought one other gift of 1/2 y fabric and that it! That's all I've bought in 7 months.

BUT I've spent a fortune on lampwork glass beads, pearls and charms to make bookmarks and 'Bling Things" for a craft sale that's coming up in October.
    Attached Thumbnails assorted-key-chains-bling-things.jpg   assorted-key-chains-bling-things.jpg  
    Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Sorry for the duplicate, my first picture post and I can't figure how to get the extra one out!

Here's the other one I meant to post.[ATTACH=CONFIG]352932[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails lord-you-charm-reduced.jpg  
    Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 AM
    Power Poster

DH asked why I just didn't let the quilt shop store the fabric and I go get it when I need it. LOL. That's the way I feel about antiques, let the museums store and clean them for me. I wish I could think of fabric the same way.