Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Let's encourage each other! >
  • Let's encourage each other!

• Let's encourage each other!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wantaquilt
    I can't have the best out there either. I don't mind at all. I am proud of the fact that I make very nice, pretty quilts. I use a Brother machine that I bought from a friend for $25. I cut and sew my quilts on my coffee table in my living room. It is a wonder that they turn out as good as they do, but that makes me happy. You don't have to have the best, just do the best job you can with what you do have.
    I see a kindred spirit here! I sew in the corner of my living room and cut on my kitchen table and use my $25 Kenmore bought from a friend. I also have a 600 Singer Touch and Sew that I use, recently I was gifted a New Home that I know has to be at least 35 years old. My story is they all sew beautifully and I love them! I go on quilting retreats twice a year with about 40 women. They are all wonderful, have the most gorgeous machines and are great quilters and supporters. No one has ever mentioned my old machine that hums along, they have always complimented me on how pretty my quilts are and always so helpful. Love that group of ladies!
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 AM

That is Great! Couldn't of said it better... I always hear there are no quilt Police,, but some folks think they r.
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 AM

I started and am still using my mothers 1968 White...yesterday I bought a Janome 7700 and have been walking on air since....but will never be able to replace my 1st love of my mothers machine....just was lucky enough to save for years and years and years to buy the Janome...still doesn't mean my quilts will be any better...i agree with the others, as i'm driving a 16 year old truck back and forth to work !!!...they just don't make em like they use to...so hang onto em
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:16 AM

Well said! That is the same thing as saying to a group of men that they should all drive a Dodge. What machine is right for you is a matter of personal choice. My Pfaff and I would not fit in that group.
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 AM

Remember you do not have to compete with the next guy. What is in your quilting room is YOURS. I enjoy what is in mine and don't worry about what the next guy has. I also do not encourage someone to have/get what I have. I really enjoy quilting and the type of quilting I do. That is what it is all about. Thanks for this subject, it is great.
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 AM

This is an excellent thread! There is no ONE perfect way to do most of things we do, whether it is quilting, housecleaning, cooking and so on. What counts is the joy we get from doing things we love to do, especially quilting! Yes, there can be some mean spirited people; the best thing to do is simply ignore them and go your way.
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 AM

As I am reading this post, I am thinking how easily I have "given others" the opportunity to affect how I feel about quilting. I have lost that "quilting mojo" and have not stitched anything since last July. I have STOPPED. My "beloved plain Jane sewing machine died" and I have been overwhelmed with all the brands, models, the shoulds, which means I don't have any kind of sewing machine. Fabric is another "should" and rulers still another "should." I have read and watched so many quilt shows, tutorials...how each step perfection is to be done, that I no longer enjoy quilting and just "hear the shoulds" and even my little "sewing area" is another "should." I don't even use the term, "I am a quilter" when anyone asks. Comments can change us and some of us are influenced. I have some "vintage quilts" and I love these quilts - the fabrics, colors, patterns, hand stitching. I wonder what these women would think of my "crazy attitude." I can hear them say, you foolish woman, what are you talking about. Get busy, sing a happy song, and take care of yourself, and of course, you are a quilter.
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 AM

I have a middle of the line machine. Started with a low end one as a Christmas gift. I have always sewed a LOT. After a while I burn out the gears and up grade a little. I do not see the need for a top of the line machine. There are a few things that I do look for such as needle down and Drop down feed dogs. Most of the features I would never use. Just stick with what you can afford and what you will use at the time.
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:44 AM

I have several machines, a couple very expensive with embroidery s well as sewing, but I tend to use my old mechanical machines for quilting, the stitches seem more reliable. So just go with what you have and enjoy. After all everyone has a different opinion or there wouldn't be so many different brands. Hang in there!
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:55 AM
    Power Poster

Sometimes it can be weeks or even a couple of months before I have enough $$ to get fabric. When Jim was out of work in 2011, I did not buy any fabric that whole year. I have a sufficient stash, and my little Brother is just fine. When the tax money comes in, I will treat myself.