Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much do you pay for yearly membership in your quilt guild? >

How much do you pay for yearly membership in your quilt guild?

How much do you pay for yearly membership in your quilt guild?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 AM

I belong to 2 quilt guilds, one with 150+ members and one with 50+ members. Both guilds' annual fee is $25. Since their year starts at different times (September and January), the cost is spread out. The larger guild has a quilt show & auction every other year. This guild has been around for at least 40 years, and they bring in nationally known speakers. They also have a small item raffle at each meeting with 5 to 10 different items, where the tickets are 5 for $1. The smaller guild has at least one raffle quilt and a silent auction every year and a small item raffle each month. We also have a "special" raffle item at our August birthday party and December Christmas party. The tickets for those are usually $5 each. We have had a couple sewing machines donated by one of the LQSs and they donated a quilting chair for this year's birthday party raffle. We have also had an Oliso iron, an Ott floor lamp and a quilt ladder which was made by the husband of one member. This guild has only been in existence for 5 years, and brings in local speakers. Both guilds have charity bees, and the smaller one has a Quilts of Valor bee.

Both guilds meet in local churches, which charge for use of the meeting room. That, after the speakers, is probably the largest expense. Then there are office expenses (p.o. box, stationery, postage, photocopying).
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
We have the business meeting at 9:30 a.m. and the program starts at 10:00 a.m. We have lunch at 11 a.m. then a workshop or open sewing until 4 pm. We are having a problem with the older members not being quiet during the meeting. They sit and talk among themselves and don't realize (care) they are very loud. The President doesn't want to be rude but sometimes she has to call them down and they get all huffy. And even when asked to turn their cells off they don't and will speak loud all the way to the door to go out and talk more. I told my quilting friends if I start acting like that when I get older to please just tell me to go home and stay there.
Age is no excuse for rudeness. At one guild I belong to, we have a jar and there is a $1 penalty if your phone rings during a meeting.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 AM

We pay $25 and it's worth it. Wonderful speakers and interesting meetings. That's until we are 80, then it's free. I am in the free range, like the old hen!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by peacefulquilting View Post
Secondly - and this pertains to the "not as fun" part of guild meetings: do you have the "business" meeting part first, then the program, or vice-versa?
Both the guilds I belong to have part of the business meeting (committee reports, BOM, etc.) at the beginning of the meeting, then the program, then the raffle and end with Show & Tell. Everyone stays for Show & Tell.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM

$25 for one, $20 for another and $12 for a sewing club not limited to quilting. The guilds have fund raisers that really aren't all that successful. There were some complaints about a recent proposal to increase dues, so I suggested that everyone pay the old dues and then make a $5 or $10 contribution and nearly everyone did. Aren't people wonderful. froggyintexas
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Age is no excuse for rudeness. At one guild I belong to, we have a jar and there is a $1 penalty if your phone rings during a meeting.
Everyone of these ladies are 80+. They don't seem to care. We will just wait them out. LOL
Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM

My guild is $10 a year. We have workshops and some speakers. A lot of the workshops are given by members. If there is a bus trip etc we all pay individually for that, whomever comes. Some members are retired and can go to almost all of the trips. Some still work and can't get off for trips.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM

I don't belong to a quilt guild, but I do belong to a smocking/needlework guild. We are fairly small (membership is limited to 50 due to the facility we use). Our guild dues are $15 per year, and we are also required to join the national organization at a cost of $35 per year.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by peacefulquilting View Post
Hello, all. After yet another knock-down, drag-out guild meeting this morning, I am asking the question: How much is the yearly membership fee to belong to your local quilt guild?

Do you think it is a fair amount? In other words, do you get your "money's worth"?

This is purely un-scientific - I'm just curious as to how much other guilds charge for membership fees.
Our guild costs $15.00 a year and is worth every penny. We talked about raising it last year but we have a number of our members on fixed incomes and we did not want to lose them or cause a hardship for them.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Costs are going up everywhere, for gas, raw materials, etc. Its not surprising the guilds are having to raise their dues in order to continue to function.