Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you pay for yearly maintanence on your machine?

Blog Entries
    I took my two machines in for their yearly checkups about 2 months ago. When I got the bill back for a general checkup and cleaning the cost was $350!

The machines I took in were: Singer Confidence Quilter (Was charged $200 for that one because it's "electronic") and $120 for my White (from the 70s or 80s) because of its "age".

Is that normal to pay? I didn't even pay that for the White.

Plus, I'm fanatical about cleaning my machines and oiling them.

I wouldn't want to know what this place (an hour drive for me) would charge for my older machines.

So, what do you all pay? Did I pay way too much?

Blog Entries
    Wow. I had my Featherweight serviced (including a new plug) for $50.00.

I pay $65.00 regardless. I have taken my White serger, viking 940, viking 1+, and Janome 10001. I deal with an independant repair service.

That does seem high. Did they tell you that before? Did they have to order parts maybe? If not, then I would not go back. Call around and find another place. Unless it's a treadle all sewing machines are "electronic".

Blog Entries
    man.. I did way over pay. I think I'm going to be subscribing to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GwynR
    That does seem high. Did they tell you that before? Did they have to order parts maybe? If not, then I would not go back. Call around and find another place. Unless it's a treadle all sewing machines are "electronic".
    Nope, no parts. And they didn't tell me the price before I took them in. All they did was clean some lint out of a really hard to reach area. But it was even noted that my machines were very clean.

The "electronic" referred to the fact the machine has buttons you can push to make decorative stitches. I asked.

Around here service at a dealer begins at $100.00. There is a sewing machine repair and vacuum shop that charges less, and they did a great job - now it has changed owners and not so great. So I always figure the base price for service begins at $100.00, and if there is another problem I will have to pay more.

Blog Entries
    wow! did they have to replace parts or something?
    my long arm costs $70
    my domestic (viking) is between $40 & $75 (it usually has something not right for me to take it in)
    i would be finding a new place to go!
    last year i took my large machine in- and asked them to go to my mother's (house call) and fix,& clean her machine- it is 40 years old- big - an industrial Brenina (sp)i was prepared for a $300 bill---especially since the repair guy had to travel 40 miles to go to my mother's--
    the bill for both machines- including all parts, labor, cleaning, travel---was $125

if i were you i'd be looking for a different place to go.

Blog Entries
    For my Singer it is $79.99 and for my Bernina it is $99.99.

Blog Entries
    I have a top of the line Viking. Annual service is around $80

Blog Entries
    nope, no parts. Just lint cleaning and general check up. That's all that it says on the receipt anyway.

Usually had my Pfaff's done under waranty. Did bring one it to local shop and charge was $65 - that was about 2 years ago but don't know what it would be today. Before going to that shop I had checked with another shop that said any machine that was computerized began at $125, needless to say I didn't go there.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 vikings 1 is the designer and it still only cost $79.00 FOR cleaning, and all the yearly stuff! I think you need to find a new place

I take mine in yearly and if there are no parts it is $35 each. I have two Vikings, a Pfaff, & a Featherweight.

It's $80 where I take my Janome.

Basic cleaning and service is $55.00 at my shop. Basic includes cleaning, checking feed dogs heights, needle bar height, tension-top and bobbin, new needle, oiling and greasing, timing and other minor stuff. The only time it is higher is if it needs parts.

Always get a written quote for such services and to contact you if parts are needed and how much more it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I took my two machines in for their yearly checkups about 2 months ago. When I got the bill back for a general checkup and cleaning the cost was $350!

The machines I took in were: Singer Confidence Quilter (Was charged $200 for that one because it's "electronic") and $120 for my White (from the 70s or 80s) because of its "age".

They surely did take advantage of you. I pay $65.00 only for my Janome 6600P.

I wouldn't want to know what this place (an hour drive for me) would charge for my older machines.

My base rate for my Brother 2003D and Pfaff 7570 was $179.00 the last time I took either in several years ago. I don't take mine in unless there is a problem. I oil where they need it and make sure I take care of the bad needles pronto. I don't know how to time them and parts do wear out so that is when they go see the 'DR.'. The response I received when I asked about the cost of service was that 'you spent $5000.00 on these machines so the service is more complicated', yeah right! I didn't spend anywhere near that on any of my machines!

Good luck on your service hunt!

Blog Entries
    My Bernina's yearly maintenance is $80 plus GST.

I just had her maintenance done last week and even though he had to instal a new part (a washer I think it was had cracked so when my needle went down the first time in sewing there would be a small clunk...) it was at no additional cost as it was minor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206

ouch...
    $89.00 last time.

My last servicing for my Viking Sapphire was $150, my serger was $120.

I just took in my Bernina 180. It was $105 for general cleaning.
    Another store in the area would have charged 59 or 85 for it, but they are a new dealer and he doesn't know this older machine. I'm selling it so wanted a really good inspection.

I bought my Bernina 630E used about a year ago so I have no idea when it needs serviced. I do know it had been checked, cleaned, etc. right before I bought it. Sounds like I don't need to have anything done unless it starts acting up. Do most of you use the little vacuum attachment to clean or just a brush?

It cost me $95 for my Bernina 830 in Aug.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast