Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Yearly maintenance on machine

Blog Entries
    Is having yearly maintenance (tune-up, lube, and cleaning) really necessary?????

a regular here
    Only if you want to keep your machine running at tip top capacity.

Blog Entries
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by S D G
    Only if you want to keep your machine running at tip top capacity.

It depends ...

I used to bring my Husqvarna in once a year like clockwork. After the 3nd time my dealer asked me "why"? The first time he understood - the first "tune up" was free with the purchase. The second time he just did it. When I came back the third time he flat out told me it didn't need it after he opened it up. Not only did I not use it enough during the course of a year, coupled with the fact that I am a FREAK about keeping my machine cleaned, and he said the Husky's don't need maintenance as frequently as other machines.

I've also got a Janome 6600 which I use more often than the Husky, but I'm still freakish about cleaning it. Had it about a year now and I'll bring it in when I'm done with my current project for a once over and a blessing. I'll ask them at that time if they thought it needed it and if not, I may stretch it to 18 or 24 months until it's next visit (given the same amount of usage).

I know I don't put in as many hours on my machines as some of the ladies here on the board. I go days, sometimes even weeks, without even turning my machine on. And as I said ... I'm a freak about cleaning the suckers.

So ... it depends :)

I try to do it yearly on the machine that I mainly use, but it may not happen this year, because I don't know if I'll be going down to Fresno or not this year. I don't know anyone in this general area and I trust him, have been going to him for many years.

I have my Bernina serviced every July (birthday month!) - kind of like a mamogram; not easy to go through but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

I agree that your machine may not need to be serviced every year if you do not use them heavily, but if you do it is a good idea. I have a machine that tells me when it needs maintenance. It goes by how many stitches it sews, so it may need maintenance more often. I have had it over 2 years and just got first one, but I did not use it much the first year as I was living in a 5th wheel and did not have room to set it up, now it gets used a lot.

It is probably a good idea. I have gone about 18 months between servicing and haven't had any trouble. I asked the guy if the machine needed it and he said, oh it was probably time but I have seen a lot worse!

It depends on how good your are at maintaining your machine. I have not had my Viking Rose in for over 14 yrs. & it is doing just fine. I have had some horror stories about machines taken in for service & then getting them back with problems. I no longer have a Viking dealeer in my area and I am reluctant to ship it anywhere unless it truely is not working properly. Some people are not good at keeping their machine clean of lint, etc. I taught sewing in a sew & vac shop in the late 1990's & could not believe the hair, string, etc. on the rollers of vacumn cleaners brought in.

For me, it depends on how much I have been sewing.

There have been some lengthy times - up to 6 months and more - where I couldn't sew. Then there have been times I think the sewing machine and I are one entity and wonder I don't sew in my sleep.

I do my own oiling and basic cleaning. I do take my machine in on what I feel is an equivalent to 1 year of use.

ali

I'm into my 3rd year without maintenance and my machine is starting to let me know it is time to go in and have her 'serviced' by the nice man with gentle hands.

mine are heavily used and though i clean and oil them, i feel its good for them to get thoroughly cleaned and tuned up.

Blog Entries
    I usually drop mine off just before I leave for vacation. We both come back refreshed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Is having yearly maintenance (tune-up, lube, and cleaning) really necessary?????
    Some will think I'm crazy - but I am a heavy sewer -I own a computerized Husqvarna 1100 - which is now 22 years old - I have never had mine in to be looked at, that being said I likely now at it's middle age need to have it serviced as I have some automatic tension issues but I'm always able to just adjust it myself. I make sure I keep it free of lint and it overall runs great. This machine doesn't have to be oiled/lubed. A recent talk with a salesman told me it had gone off warranty at 20 years. (I don't recall anyone telling me it had a 20 year warranty when I bought it in Ottawa Canada new). Salesman said this was one of the best machines Husquvarna ever made and I agree with him.

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, yearly maintenance is unnecessary as long as you do a reasonable job of keeping your machine clean (and older machines oiled). If I sewed for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, I'd probably take my machine in for servicing every year or every other year.

I used to take my Bernina in every year, but honestly could tell no difference in it. The last time I took it, when I picked it up I realized I had left the upper tension on a lowered setting because I had been working with monofilament thread. If the tech checked out the stitch at all, he must have been satisfied with the upper tension not being at the factory setting. At that point I saw no reason to pay $100 and be without my machine for a week for cleaning that I could do myself at home.

I'd say a checkup every 10 years is plenty for most home-use machines.

I have Vikings as well and don't take them in. I used to sell them and sometimes the machines were worse after the "cleaning". I take mine apart and clean out the lint and since they never need oil it doesn't take much to maintain it. Never ever blow the lint away with one of those gas in a can things. You will cause problems that only a repairman can fix. Vacuum only!

I don't usually take mine in every year...but try to at least every 2 years...I used to be a heavier sewer and would get it serviced more regularly, but with not sewing a much in many years, I think every other year is often enough, and never have gotten "scolded at" by the service person. I do clean and oil the bobbin area very often though.

I rarely, if ever, take in my mechanical machines, I service them myself.

I only take in my computerized machines if they are not performing properly. Otherwise, I clean out the bobbin casing after every project and as long as it works fine, I don't take it in. After 20 years of sewing on my computerized Kenmore, I decided it deserved a servicing. When I got it back it wouldn't work properly, I took it back in and the technician sat down with me and we discovered I had worn out the plastic presser foot!! He replaced it and it has been humming along ever since.

I maintain and service my own machines if there is a mechanical problem and I've only just had my first electrical problem with the most expensive one!After I get over the irony of this,I am content when the repair man says he does lots of those repairs.So I think the servicing is an expense I don't need to add to the cost of my sewing.

Blog Entries
    [quote=DogHouseMom]It depends ...

I used to bring my Husqvarna in once a year like clockwork. After the 3nd time my dealer asked me "why"? The first time he understood - the first "tune up" was free with the purchase. The second time he just did it. When I came back the third time he flat out told me it didn't need it after he opened it up. Not only did I not use it enough during the course of a year, coupled with the fact that I am a FREAK about keeping my machine cleaned, and he said the Husky's don't need maintenance as frequently as other machines.

wow! i wish i had your dealer! when i waited 1 1/2 years to take mine in- my dealer pretty much jumped all over me- stressing that with the amount of sewing i do i should probably take it in every 6 months- that waiting a year is too long---and i religiously clean my machine all the time-take very good care of it---and the dealer is 80 miles away- so i don't take it in anywhere near as often as they (think) i should---but my dealer is a definite---at least annually believer

:wink:

I sewed on my old Elna for over 40 yrs. and it never was in a shop. I cleaned and oiled it myself and it never gave me any trouble. I sewed all my childrens clothes on it and then some for the grands and started quilting on it about 8 yrs. ago. At that time, I bought a computerized machine, a Kenmore 19606. The Elna is retired now, but still hauled out for certain things like sewing through decorator fabric and latch hook canvas to make a pillow that my grandaughter had hooked. Don't want to scare the Kenmore , which probably would have done the job but why push it.

Blog Entries
    I have a Babylock and the first maintenance for my Esante was 3 years. Ok, got words from my dealer but hadn't had any problems. Kept it nice and clean inside and out which he said was good. But he suggested about 1-1/2 years for the amount of sewing I do -- almost everyday.

I did notice a difference in how it worked after the tune-up. Only thing that had to be fixed was to replace the bobbin case that was cracked (too many broken needles caused it).

My personal experience in previous machines -- this is my first computerized machine. My mechanical machines were rarely serviced as long as I kept it clean out. There's more that can go wrong with computerized machines, I think.

I don't go by the one year rule, I take mine in when it seems to need it. I am only home for 6 months a year so it doesn't get used all the time but you can tell when it needs more than my cleaning out the bobbin area and applying oil as needed.

My repairman told me to bet the little vacumne tools and told me exactly what to do take apart to clean it, exactly where to oil, etc. Whenever I run into trouble I call him (always ask for him... there are four repairman there) and he starts asking questions....

Did you.....? Is the............? by the 5th or so question he has pin pointed my problem. Oh, I'm in love with my repairman. The last time I took in my machine he looked at a couple of thing, sold me a new bobbin case and gave me a couple of suggestions. No more problem. And he didn't charge! My husband was impressed, too.

I use my machine very hard and I need advice/help with it two or three times a year. So far, so good!

I don't do it yearly mainly because the cost has doubled over the last several years. I keep it clean and haven't had any problems.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast