Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price? >

Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM

Id totally pay $200 but I want the binding done completely by machine. Lol I hate putting on binding I am still learning and I weeble wobble yet on my binding.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Am I the only one who finds this ironic? First, we talk (complain, really) about how Muggles (non-quilters) expect us to do all this work to make a quilt, then want to pay a really low price for the product of our work. Then we turn around and do the exact same thing to our fellow quilters and longarmers.
Excellent point Peggy. AND without knowing all the details to boot!

We have no idea of:
OP's location

The actual quilt's size (most LA charge by the square inch) A queen can be any number of sizes even bigger than a California King to because some people like their quilts to touch the floor like a bedspread and call it a queen because it is going on a queen size bed but it measures 120 x 120 or more.

If Batting, backing and binding services were provided

Density of quilting

Was the quilt pressed, square and all threads snipped or did the LAQ have to press it, snip threads and carefully manipulate the quilt during quilting to avoid puckers, tucks and pleats

finally the OP never even mentioned if she was happy with the work or not.

While in my mind $200 does seem on the high side for a meander that is loose (not a dense meander or a microstipple) there are so many other factors to consider.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM

I just did some figuring based on a. queen sized quilt being 60x80 (of course, I realize your quilt may be a little different). The LAer I use charges 0.0275 per square inch. So based on 60x80= 4800 sq. inches x 0.0275 = $132.

For a simple meander, I'd say you got ripped off. Did she at least buy you dinner first?? (Sorry - -- couldn't help it)

Jane
Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Am I the only one who finds this ironic? First, we talk (complain, really) about how Muggles (non-quilters) expect us to do all this work to make a quilt, then want to pay a really low price for the product of our work. Then we turn around and do the exact same thing to our fellow quilters and longarmers.
While I certainly understand your point, LA quilters still need to be fair and reasonable with their pricing. Personally, I think $200 is too much especially for a simple meander. Yes, of course, the quilters' location needs to be taken into consideration. We all know prices vary in different regions of the US and abroad. Just my humble opinion - - -

Jane
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 AM

If I'd known all the costs of a longarm, the learning curve involved, and all the time spent with potential customers, I would've gladly paid a fair price or even more for a really good job. To do long arming yourself (which I now do), is something you have to really love.
Joan
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 AM

I'm in CA and my quote was $250 for a queen size quilt, simple meander, not including bat and backing.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
I just had a queen sized quilt long arm quilted with a simple meander pattern and the cost was $200. Is that pretty much the going price for a queen quilt?

Just wondering. Thanks.
The first quilt top I had done the LA saw me coming and charged me $1000 for a king-and she would not do the design I wanted because she was burned out on leaves so she did feathers-the second charged me $400 for a simple straight stitch king and the next top $200 for a lap quilt. Needless to say I have about 20 tops to be quilted but I can't afford it!!!

I have sent 3 tops to MSQC as they have prices that I CAN afford. Since my quilt are charity quilts except for the king-mine!!-and I am retired-I can't afford a whole lot of money to give away. I am trying to learn how to quilt-I think it is a brain hiccup on my part. LOL
Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Was that just for the quilting?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
I just did some figuring based on a. queen sized quilt being 60x80 (of course, I realize your quilt may be a little different). The LAer I use charges 0.0275 per square inch. So based on 60x80= 4800 sq. inches x 0.0275 = $132.

For a simple meander, I'd say you got ripped off. Did she at least buy you dinner first?? (Sorry - -- couldn't help it)

Jane
A pre-packaged queen size batting measures 90" x108" so I would think that would be a fairer dimension to work with. 60 x 80 is more like a sofa throw. so based on the more realistic 90 x108 size the OP was charge .02 per s/i.

In my pricing structure .02 is a step above panto. That would be for a simple repeated freehand design in the body of the quilt and something different in the border or borders. I don't do all over meanders as I value my sanity. LOL But I know many, many LAQ (both in and outside my area) who only charge between .01 and .015 per s/i for an all over meander so I do agree the OP probably paid a bit more than she should have provided her quilt top did not exceed 90" x 108", the price paid did not include batting, binding or any other extras, the top did not require pressing, thread clipping, cleaning off of pet hair, and the top was fairly square so the LAQ didn't have to take extra time to pin, spray starch, steam etc to ease in fullness without puckers, pleats etc.

We can't say anyone was ripped off or not without having all the facts.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmau View Post
The first quilt top I had done the LA saw me coming and charged me $1000 for a king-and she would not do the design I wanted because she was burned out on leaves so she did feathers-
Yeegads, for that price, you should have gotten a show quality job ala Karen McTavish! That is definitely a lot for LAQ. And to not even do the design you wanted? Wow.