Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Storing your stash >
  • Storing your stash

• Storing your stash

Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 AM
    Power Poster

I have mine in a couple of white cabinets, plus misc. plastic bins. Also have a small closet that is dedicated to my misc. fabrics, interfacings, etc. and other misc. craft projects. Would love to find an old china cupboard or such~
    Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

I use plastic scrapbook cases that are see through and have a handle. I either separate my material by color or by holiday or by panels/printed or...... That way I can just pick the ones to go through when starting a project. I get them from JoAnn's with a 40% or 50% coupon so they don't cost too much. They stack nicely in a closet or on a shelf. :-)

http://www.joann.com/iris-usa-scrapb...false&start=12
    Old 01-13-2014, 12:27 PM

My sewing room is the back bedroom in my house, so therefore, I had the closet doors taken out, then had my husband put in shelving but left a space on bottom high enough to fit 3 totes. In the totes, I keep Christmas fabric, another with silk and lace for my crazy quilting and I have a couple of baskets with patterns . Most of my fabric is folded and sorted by color mainly, but also theme,(children, kitchen, floral and color ). Then I had my husband put a rod so I made a flannel curtain which I use to put my blocks on when sewing or putting a quilt pattern together.
    Old 01-13-2014, 02:31 PM

I'm another cube lover - have some solid ones, and a stack of those metal grate like ones that you put together. Helps keep me from getting too messy.
    Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo
    Others will disagree but I like plastic bins where I can see fabric. Some fabric just sits on shelving and in stacks, it just gets dusty and needs a good shaking out before I use it. I generally wash fabric before adding it to stash.
    I agree. I like the bins.
    Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Comic book cardboards. Store them in bookshelves like books (like in the fabric store). Generally by color. Have a flannel "curtain" that I pull down in front when not using them.
    Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by mamaborne
    So... I finally organized my office and I'm now ready to start quilting. I have a nice stash started from a few years back of samples I ordered from fabric.com. They are starting to pile up though, so I need to start thinking about storage ideas.

I was thinking of buying some pretty paper boxes to put them in, but then thought that having them visible might be a source of inspiration?

Anyone have/seen any great ideas on how to store your stash? I have a large wall where I could hang shelving, as one option. Sort of like the idea of containers better though, as they'll get dusty on a shelf, even if in bins.

Thanks!
    Cardboard boxes can bleed some nasty brown color onto fabric. Plastic bins are what i use, not that I have any kind of orde.

The plastic shoe boxes will hold the fabrics for a top, if you want to keep projects in one place, or matching fabric if you aren't to design stage yet. And big bins are a blessing. Don't let too much sunlight hit them however.
    Old 01-13-2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
    I don't have a large stash, but I keep it folded in clear plastic bins which I display vertically in a closed cabinet. That way I can take the fabric out to look it over, if I need to, but it is not subject to sunlight.
    I love the bins on end idea. Might have to try that
    Old 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM

I use stacks of Sterilite plastic drawer-bins and they're great EXCEPT that I have them very full now and they're getting so heavy that it's getting hard to open and close the ones on the bottom. Booo!

I'm contemplating building some sort of framework so only one or two drawers are in each 'cubby', thereby saving a lot of pressure on the lower drawers. I really like those drawers; I even have figured out exactly how to fold my fabric to make it fit perfectly so I'd hate to get rid of them. (Not to mention how much I've paid for the darn things!) I have cats and I don't trust them to stay away from a bookcase full of fabric, even if I have a curtain over the front. I'm SURE they'd end up sleeping in my stash, the little monsters!!

Maybe some day I'll get the space and finances to invest in some real armoires for my fabric. That would be glorious.
    Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 PM

I bought 2 48"w by 71"h cabinets with full length doors from Home Depot. They come with a full width top shelf and 2 half width shelves. I bought a melamine (sp?) 19-3/4" wide board and HD cut it into 4 more shelves for me. You have multiple choices for where to place the shelves. I don't have a picture, so I hope you get the idea.

The doors are SO necessary here in AZ to keep out the dust AND sunshine - I have big sliding glass doors at the end of my sewing room. I love the light, so I really need the doors on the cabinets.

My stash is upright, folded on foam core, kinda looks like a fabric store. I buy it at Dollar Tree for $1 per sheet - 20"x30" - and cut them in 4-7'1/2"x20" pieces. That fits with just a little space above it on those top shelves. I would love to use the thinner comic boards, but they aren't tall enough. The shelves are deeper than my wrapped boards, so I put plastic shoe boxes filled with FQs in front of the stash. Each shoe box has just one color of FQs. Right now, everything is neat - because I'm between projects. I should probably take a picture!