Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Magazines ?? >
  • Quilting Magazines ??

• Quilting Magazines ??

Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rupe
    I was thinking about subscribing to a magazine and I was wondering what ones are the most popular. What I am looking for is kind of a mixed bag of ideas I enjoy making bags and table runners, pillow covers, wall hangings, kitchen stuff, and other items for around the home. I am kind of new to sewing.
    There may not be this type of magazine out there........
    I have had better luck Googling for patterns than subscribing to magazines. Many of the the patterns you find on the Internet are free. If you go on Pinterest, you will find dozens of suggestions for all the things you named and then some and some of them have tutorials. I bought a Fons and Porter publication last fall for a particular pattern and found that one of the critical components had been left out. I was able to free hand it and the project turned out fine, but I am going to examine every magazine pattern to see whether it is complete before I buy it. froggyintexas
    Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 PM

I subscribe to several, my favorite is McCalls' Quick Quilts. But I wont be renewing any of them, most have difficult patterns for a beginner like me and I've found so many free easier ones online. I did however subscribe to Blocks by MSQC & sure I'll renew that one every year!
    Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 PM

Quiltmania and American Patchwork & Quilting are my favorite quilting magazines.
    Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 PM

I'm another fan of the internet followed by my local library. They carry 3 or 4 quilting specific magazines and one or two general sewing ones and you can check out the back issues. I love reading and I love books but faced with limited room and a limited budget it makes more sense not to buy them and have them taking up space.
    Rodney
    Old 02-22-2014, 07:22 PM

I have been subscribing to 'McCalls Quick Quilts' and have enjoyed it very much. I have subscribed to MSQC's new 'Block', magazine also. My newest subscription is 'The Quilt Pattern' magazine which is an online only publication. I like it very very much and it's stored on my computer and not taking up room in my closet! http://www.quiltpatternmagazine.com/
    Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    Quilting Quickly from Missouri Star but it is not a subscription, you can only buy them as they are issued. I think they have issued 4 so far.
    A new one that I just found and subscribed to is Quilt It Today. Love this mag.

There will be no more "Quilting Quickly". Jenny and her family now have their own magazine called "Block" which will appear every 2 months. First edition should be out any time now.
    Old 02-22-2014, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
    There will be no more "Quilting Quickly". Jenny and her family now have their own magazine called "Block" which will appear every 2 months. First edition should be out any time now.
    "Quilting Quickly " (a Fons & Porter publication) will still be published but not with Jenny who has moved on to her own magazine.
    Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 PM

My suggestion is check out the magazines at grocery store, Joann's, book stores, etc and picking up the same one for 2-3 issues I a row to see if you like it before subscribing. One thing I have found about subscriptions is they go in cycles. One issue has so many cute projects that there is no way you can make them all and then the next year you subscribe to it you are lucky to find 2-3 projects you want to make. One publication I have really enjoyed over the years is Quilters World. My MIL gives me a subscription to it every year for my birthday and I have many wonderful projects from their publication.
    Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I didn't renew any of the quilt magazines this year. I have had them all over the years. I did subscribe to Missouri Star Quilt Co new magazine Block. The first issue is coming out this month!
    Yes and I got a funny e-mail that Block is on the way, so can't wait to see it.
    Old 02-22-2014, 10:26 PM

I used to order a number of magazines, but I just don't have the time to read them anymore. So I have whittled it down to one that I subscribe to. Fons and Porter. I do buy some at times from the store. When you subscribe you don't get the inserts and cd's that come with purchase from the store. When I noticed that, I kinda felt jipped so that's when I let my subscriptions run out. Now I pick and choose as well. As a side note. I was given a subscription to Creative Machine Embroidery as a gift a year ago. When the subscription ran out I wasn't interested in subscribing myself. They have sent me the nastiest letters trying to get me to subscribe. I would avoid that one.

Last edited by gotta-sew; 02-22-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling correction