Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts that are 'quilted to death'  -- just my 2 cents worth..... >

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 AM

stitch124 I agree with you as I use to got to every quilt show I could find but that was in the days of hand quilting and quilting on a home sewing machine there was real creativity now I will not waste my time or money to go to a quilt show as most all of them atr computer done just my opinion but also my feeling quilting like everything else has really changed when I started quilting it was a real sharing done with love thing now I cakk it microwave quilting how fast can one be done anf gas turned into a big money thing no more just friends getting together sharing and having good fellowship now off my soap box
Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by judith ann View Post
My personal like is a quilt that is soft and easy to wrap up in. Not stiff. I do not care for the tiny stippling. Just me. judy j
That's me, too. When heavily quilted quilts are shown on the quilt board or Pinterest, the only thing jumping out at me is the quilting. Later when I'm thinking about it I realize I didn't even notice what the pattern was.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 AM

I have put an "over-quilted" quilt on my bed and it would slide right off the bed every night. I finally took it off the bed, because it wasn't comfortable and cosy.

Sometime, the quilting CAN over power the quilt pattern.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I completely agree. One person competing against a long-arming team is quite an uneven challenge.
For more than ten years I have been trying to get our categories to change into long arm quilted and quilted on domestic sewing machine. I think these are two different kettles of fish. But it's not happening.

There are at least 6 small quilt shows near me, only one of which is judged by "judges". The rest are all viewer choice and we take anything there we have made. We have show quilts, art quilts, and simple stairway to heaven. Tied, machine quilted, applique or tacked. We show lots of different sizes and miscellaneous items: purses, wine bottle holders, garments, etc. Some complain there are too many categories to vote on, but if the items in a category are displayed together, it's not so bad. It's all just a lot of fun, learning, and good times.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:07 AM

I do think that some quilts are so heavily quilted that the actual pattern is obscured. Just because you can quilt heavily doesn't mean you should, IMHO.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 AM

There are a few different conversations going on here, actually.

First, the original comment about quilts being "quilted to death." I do agree that I've seen some quilts that the quilting overwhelms the fabric and design. My mother has commented on this several times in the last year or so - she's seen several of these types of quilts at the LQS. But as I tell her, to each his own! You are not being told you have to do that to your quilts.

Second thing I saw here was the commentary on shows and how there aren't any bed quilts in any of the shows. I disagree with this as well. I've seen quilts at the Houston show that have won that could easily go on a bed - in 2012, I think, a beautiful red, white & blue quilt won that could have easily been used on a bed. But I'm not sure why that matters. To be honest, I don't go to the quilt shows to see more of the same types of quilts I can make at home. I go to quilt shows for inspiration, to find designs I've never thought of doing before, or color combinations I would have never considered. I'm not interested in seeing yet another D9P at the quilt show - I want to see something that reaches out and grabs me, and is artistic in nature. I love the picture quilts, or the abstract quilts, just because they are things I don't normally do at home. If I want to see quilts that go on beds, I can go look at Sears, or my own home.

And then there's the conversation about "team" quilts. I'm not really sure what I think about this, because so many quilts these days are not completely done by one person, even on this board. I don't think that diminishes the quilt's intrinsic value, nor does it diminish the work that went into the quilt. All of the quilts I've seen that were quilted by someone other than the person who pieced it seems to be identified in that manner, so I don't really see a problem with it.

As with everything else, it's all a matter of personal preference. I would like to say I see beauty in every quilt, but that would be untrue. Some quilts do absolutely nothing for me and I move on from them to one that does move me. I am happy to see that textile arts are finally getting some recognition, but I don't think it's nearly enough. I'd like to see more mainstream recognition for textile artists. For some reason, the term "craft" has a connotation to a lot of people that is somehow below the "art" designation. And far too often, quilts are pushed into the "craft" category, and they don't get the attention and respect for the artist that they deserve. But I think that the past several years have begun to prove that many quilts are as worthy of the art category as oil paintings. I really hope that it continues to progress in that manner.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 AM

Personally, I go to the big quilt shows for the vendors You can find lots of interesting ideas and new gadgets there.
I wish all shows would separate the hand quilted from the machine quilted. And the longarm quilted from the DSM quilted. And the "team" quilts from the one person quilts. None of these should be judged together.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 AM

I am puzzled by the number of people who think heavy quilting takes over the quilt. The micro stippling I did on this quilt was at my friend's request. It is designed to push the applique up. The thread is fine (Invisifil 100 wt) and it matches the background. Personally I like all types of quilts and I find all types of quilts at shows I visit.
I love it when the overall first impression of a quilt attracts me and then as I look closer I see other things to admire whether it is the quilting or fabrics. Unless the description of a quilt explains what it's intend use is, I don't know and I don't care. It is the visual impact of the quilt that speaks to me.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472671[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails r-3.jpg  

Last edited by Pagzz; 04-22-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM

I go to the quilt shows to be amazed at the creativity and skills that are present there. Never dawned on me whether or not they would ever end up on a bed. As I walk through I notice the overall design and amazing ability of these artists to work with color. Then, when I move up a little closer I am amazed all over again with the quilting. I admit that I'm always on the lookout for something that I think I could actually do myself. I always look to see how there were quilted - by hand, DSM or LA. And those miniatures! They will never see a bed, but they are just fantastic. I'm on my way to Paducah on Thursday and can't wait to see them all.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Stitch124, I tend to agree with you. IMHO there has to be a good balance. The right quilting can enhance and beautify a quilt, but it should never detract or "grandstand". Can't help but notice that when some of these heavily quilted quilts are turned over to show off the machine quilting, they appear "warped" and don't see how they would ever lay flat on a bed or against a wall. Your comments about fabric fiber break down and quilt show placement seem very valid.
I totally agree with Stitch124. I don't want to hurt anybody's feeling, We all have our individual taste. I was lucky to have won the awards I have in larger shows but had to quit competition due to my disability. I prefer the piece top to be the star of the show, not the quilting. I like the look of hand quilting that supports the pieced of the quilt and not be so distracting.