Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine >

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Old 05-05-2014, 06:23 AM

I personally LOVE the BLOCK magazine . I subscribed for the year & love book 1&2 .I get others but when they are ready to renew I'll probably cancel them. To much in the others that DO NOT pertain to quilting patterns.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the review Pewa88. I don't see your post as complaining, it's an honest review & I appreciate it.

I bought issue 1 as a single issue and not sure if I'll order more. I like their videos - I find them entertaining although I don't always like the patterns. I didn't see anything in issue 1 that really grabbed my eye either, although I haven't had time to give it a good reading. I suspect I will enjoy the stories and chatter in the mag more than the patterns - just like their daily deal email; I usually enjoy the little story more than I want to buy the item being sold.

I actually kind of like ads in magazines, though. Often they're the same ones over and over, but sometimes I see something interesting and will check out the website listed.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:29 AM

Perfect response! Totally agree.
Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
OP - Would you please give an example of the advertising you saw? I just looked through both issues and saw no advertising whatsoever. The name of the fabric used is listed but that is not advertising.

I look at the magazine as a pattern book. Where else can you find 10 patterns for $5.95? Most patterns sell for $8.00 on up. Even if there is only one pattern in the book I want to make, that is still a bargain.

And as for trees destroyed -- why not subscribe to the digital version if that is really an issue?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 AM

I don't see any advertising. They simply tell you what templates (if any) and what fabric lines they are using. If you want to make exactly the same quilt with the same fabrics that is important information. I view that as necessary information. I watch the videos and have made several of her quilts and they work out great! I like having the patterns in print so I can make them at a later date without going to the computer to watch a video again.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:52 AM

After reading everyone's opinions here here's mine. Back in April of this year I personally met Jenny Doan and her husband. She is a woman to be admired. She has a passion to teach and loves quilting. At no point during her trunk show or the afternoon class did she ever promote any of her templates/accessories at the quilt store. She and her husband had lunch with us, laughed with us and told us the story of her entire family creating this wonderful website, magazine and such. In her small town she has hired 100 people to help in her business and these 100 are not her family. In an economy that has been so frigid with jobs lately MSQC has been creating them. As well there are business opening up lately in Hamilton MO. I subscribe to BLOCK and love it. No one here is judging anyone in particular whether you subscribe to it or not, that is your choice. I personally support any lqs to include MSQC in trying to help others learn and enjoy the art of quilting and creating jobs. I gave Jenny a big thank you and hugged her. She is a warm person and very genuine.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

They must be doing something right, I think they just about own the town now. I think that it is wonderful that their good fortune and hard work is helping to revive their town. Kudos to the family.

I do agree that they are self promoting (okay) and lots of the patterns they create are not without a degree of challenge for a beginner. More experienced quilters know how to adapt and work with a pattern where beginners can fall prey to big disappointment with some of the patterns but it will also in a matter of speaking be a learning experience too.

I know of one pattern that all the points on triangles are cut off. Now how many times are we told about this and strive to have perfect points. Is it really important? I think it sometimes is and other times not.

We have to use the information we gather to our best advantage in any project we are working on.
peace