Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting while sitting down >

cutting while sitting down

cutting while sitting down

Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Administrator

i confess to being tempted to arrange things so i can do it all sitting down.
however, i keep my cutting and pressing surfaces separate from my sewing surface.
i always advise cutting while standing up if it's at all possible - even if the person can stand for only a few minutes at a time.
it's easier to measure and cut accurately.
and ... we spend so much time sitting while working on a quilt, we need to get up and move around from time to time.
it is not good for the spine, hips or knees to remain too long in the chair.

if a person truly has a physical disability that makes standing to cut impossible then there'd be an obvious requirement to find a way to cut sitting down. it would take planning, experimentation, and patience because it's extremely difficult (bordering on nearly impossible) to get an accurate measurement or cut while sitting.

if that person can set up a configuration that provides the proper line-of-sight for accurate measures ... and
if the configuration works in combination with the cutter's arm/hand/cutter position and reach to enable accurate cuts ... and
if that configuration also allows the person to maintain proper posture while cutting ... then the person can remain independent. otherwise, she'd have to limit herself to pre-cuts; pay somebody to do her cutting; or hope she can find somebody who will do her cutting for free or barter.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I do most of my cutting standing up at either my ironing board or a raised table.

My DH made "platforms" that are about 7 inches high to raise a dining room table (38.5x 94.5 when the extensions are pulled out . I have one of those 32x60 thick white cutting mats on it. (I also have a lot of other stuff on it at the moment - - - - - ) It is 38.5 inches high.

I have a Big Board on my non-adjustable ironing board that is about 22x 60 and that is 33 inches high. I can put up to a 19x25 inch cutting mat on it.

I only use the coffee table or a TV table when I want to be "sociable" with DH and/or have little fiddly things to cut or trim and/or want to be upstairs instead of downstairs.

I also have available when upstairs - at times - a 30x 60 inch folding table that is "normal" height.

Now - the main challenge is keeping unnecessary "stuff" off the horizontal surfaces.

I will also trim little things on my sewing machine tables - all of which are at "typing table" height.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-20-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 PM

I used to do most of my cutting sitting down. I have foot issues and standing for a long time is painful. I use a Martelli Cutter and it works well while sitting.

Last fall I got a great mat to stand on from Wellness mats and so do a bit of my cutting at my cutting table while standing on this great mat

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!