Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you an Artist or just a Quilter? >
  • Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

• Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Old 04-05-2015, 01:31 PM

I consider myself both a quilter and an artist. As I go thru the process of putting a quilt together, my thought process in choosing colors, fabrics, what to add, not to add, embelish, quilt, etc. qualifies me as an artist. I do not always follow patterns or color suggestions. Especially when I do Crazy Quilting.
    Old 04-05-2015, 02:15 PM
    Power Poster

I just consider myself a quilter.
    Old 04-05-2015, 02:55 PM

All quilters are artists!
    Old 04-05-2015, 03:16 PM
    Power Poster

I consider myself a quilt artist and a craftsman (quilter), but I'm more than any of these descriptions.
    Old 04-05-2015, 04:13 PM

No such thing as "just a quilter". That makes it sound throwaway, as if it's not enough. Quilting is so much more.
    Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by lclang
    If you think you aren't artistic get a small child to help you. They don't have a lot of bias about color or pattern, but they sure know what they like and that is art.
    LOVE this! There's such a profound truth there. Children play and create, unselfconsciously, while we "grown-ups" are so often inhibited by the messages we've absorbed about what we're good or not good at and what we "ought" to do, and many of us have learned to judge everything we do by external criteria instead of just enjoying ourselves in creativity for its own sake. Thankyou, Iclang - that's such a helpful and challenging comment.
    Old 04-05-2015, 10:58 PM

This is such an interesting thread. Reading the latest posts, aonther thought struck me. How much of this discussion is a "woman thing"? Somehow I don't think many men who create beautiful, original quilts would hesitate to describe themselves as artists. I suspect that textile arts have been neglected by the art establishment because they're regarded as something women do to keep themselves busy, while men do "proper" art. The Tate gallery in London recently mounted an exhibition of "folk art" which included some beautiful quilts and embroideries. Folk art rather than just art.... how patronising. And how typical. When I go to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham UK each summer, where the work becomes more experimental and unique with every show, I know I'm in an art gallery, looking at works of art.
    Old 04-06-2015, 03:05 AM

I'm saddened that the thread that inspired this one got shut down. These two were my favorite threads. I didn't see anything offensive in it, guess I have thick skin.
    Old 04-06-2015, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by ShelleyCS
    I suspect many of us (mostly women) have been taught modesty as a virtue and while happy to say, "I'm a quilter," you'd be hard pressed to find many who will say, "I'm an artist." Notice how people say things like "quilters are artistic."

To claim the title 'artist' feels like hubris to many.
    I agree with this. I would not consider myself an artist and I don't really like art or want to do anything "arty". However I don't think that makes me "just a quilter". I strive to be a quilter, don't want to be an artist.
    Old 04-06-2015, 04:11 AM

I was just thinking about this yesterday as I sewed, "one more log," onto a big log cabin quilt that I'm making for someone.

:::sigh:::

I am a seamstress and an artist who has picked up quilting only a few years ago. I'm always trying out new techniques and honing my quilting skills, but my goal is to be set free to design and create whatever my mind can imagine. So, right now, I am a, "quilter," but later, I plan to be a, "quilting artist."

~ C