Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting? >

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:26 AM

Guess I am an odd ball but I do not care for machine embroidery nor do I care for the long arm quilting most all quilting has turned into what I call microwave quilting it must be done in a hurry guess Im a real traditionist as I enjoy the process also use to love quilt shows but now seldom go the creativity is just not there anymore to me quilting use to be more like a relaxing therapy but guess like everything else it all changes I still enjoy my old patterns like sunbonnet sue, Dresden plate and sampler quilts my favorite thing is making the blocks then I feel I must put it together or it is not really my quilt just my idea but I do enjoy what I do Happy Thanksgiving to all
Old 11-23-2015, 06:33 AM

Well said, it does take a lot of skill and computer knowledge to get those designs "just right" on any fabric. It is also a very time consuming art and you can make it as original as desired by combining different designs.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:52 AM

Depends on the embroidery. If you are crazy quilting, using the machine stitches helps. I have a program that will do my own applique and cutwork. I've embroidered quilting patterns like feathers on squares for a rag quilt. I can figure out my own "quilt in the hoop"
If the design is not available except in embroidery, I'll embroider the square.

I have seen nothing as cute as these baby dinos. I did use them for a quilt and I love the Ankylosaurus.
http://www.embroideryonline.com/p-20...friends-1.aspx

If you are making an heirloom quilt a la Martha Pullen, you do need embroidery and machine stitches.
http://tarabogey.blogspot.com/2009/0...ojects-10.html

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 11-23-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Let me please clarify that I do understand it takes talent, time, and skill to do machine embroidery or computerized long arm quilting. I don't think these techniques should be eliminated or frowned upon. I just wanted to say they personally don't appeal to me.
This is exactly what I was trying to say with my original post... I'm sorry that some people took it as a put-down.
I was interested in what others thought of machine embroidery and whether they considered it quilting or not. Open for discussion!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I don't care for machine embroidery. For me the stitching is too concentrated and stiff.
You can have designs that are dense (heavy) or that are like hand stitching. These days there are so many options. I'm getting ready to quilt for the first time on the sashiko machine. Love the look and the ease of it. I've had a wall quilt that I wanted to hatch quilt it for years but the idea of stopping and starting at each appliqued piece put me off. With this machine, you just stop and move over to the next section since all stitches are tied off one by one and that makes it easier to do, for me. One of the prettiest quilting jobs done was where the quilt had a plain backing and the whole quilting job told a story so it was beautiful on the top but the back also came to life because you could see the stitching better even though it was tone on tone. I do embroider and love it and can attest to how much some of the simplest task can take the longest times. We aren't stretching out the whole quilt on a frame, we also have to treat it like quilting on a regular machine, watch the stitching, the weight of the quilt, etc. Then when it comes to the next section, we have to take the time to line it all up, we aren't just moving the machine over to that section.

We all have different taste, but to be honest, it only takes one really great piece to make me like or apprecitate something that I thought I didn't like. Its like food, you may think you don't like it but when the right person makes it, you may love it after that. I'm so lucky that I live in a world where techology is involving not just the computers in offices to make their jobs easier but also in our world to make hobbies, side jobs, what ever you call your love interest at doing so much easier. As we get older I've heard alot of people say that had to quit hand quilting, etc because it hurt so much. Its nice that we have machines that can help these same people keep on doing what they love but just change the way they do it. Variety is the spice of life and I'm so happy that there is alot of variety in my world.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:44 AM

Well everyone is entitled to their own idea of quilt's. I love all quilt's. I do machine embroidery and it is not just pushing the button, it takes a lot of work and knowledge of a lot of things. I guess people should realize things do change. I also know some people like myself cant do hand embroidery or hand quilting because of their hands being crippled up with arthritis. I respect your feelings on this subject though. I bet your quilts are beautiful. Have a wonderful Thankggiving
Old 11-23-2015, 07:51 AM

Personally I love all of it but to answer the OP question. I don't consider embroidery as quilting. It is embroidery but embroidery blocks can be used in a quilt & produce beautiful quilts. Like some said it is a style of quilting. Kind of a catch 22. I have never tried this before but I don't think you would put a batting & backing layer along with the top on your embroidery machine & then embroider your design through all thicknesses. Seems if you did the block would be very stiff unless you only used an outline embroidery. Machine embroidery is pretty dense if it is a regular design of a house or animal or whatever. This is only my opinion & I don't know if some do embroider through all thicknesses. I would like to know that for sure myself so please PM me with that info if you do it this way. Pretty interesting.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:20 AM

Embroidery is beautiful but does not require creativity. It is a technique. I do have a problem with completely embroidered quilts winning awards over quilts that are original designs.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree. Which ever method works for you is the right method. I admire everyone's work but to say others work is wrong is unkind. I hand embroider when I embroider but like how others machine.
Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
people used to hand quilt... now there's machine quilting. people used to hand embroider... now there's machine embroidery. i never use a commercial embroidery design... i digitize my own. this is the most time-consuming part of many of my small quilts. i rarely use it on large quilts. i appreciate all methods of getting a quilty piece of 'art'
Old 11-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by annette1952 View Post
Personally I love all of it but to answer the OP question. I don't consider embroidery as quilting. It is embroidery but embroidery blocks can be used in a quilt & produce beautiful quilts. Like some said it is a style of quilting. Kind of a catch 22. I have never tried this before but I don't think you would put a batting & backing layer along with the top on your embroidery machine & then embroider your design through all thicknesses. Seems if you did the block would be very stiff unless you only used an outline embroidery. Machine embroidery is pretty dense if it is a regular design of a house or animal or whatever. This is only my opinion & I don't know if some do embroider through all thicknesses. I would like to know that for sure myself so please PM me with that info if you do it this way. Pretty interesting.

annette... i would not use a filled quilting design through all layers... the back threads would not be attractive. i do use single line embroidery through all thicknesses. the machine cuts the thread and the tail will need trimming. or you can turn off the cutter and leave long tails for burying.