Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a budget...... >

Quilting on a budget......

Quilting on a budget......

Old 02-05-2016, 04:43 AM

Don't be shy about looking at Goodwill or other similar organization. Consider using shirts. Get together with other quilters and swap or share. I forgot to mention, garage/yard/estate sales.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:58 AM

Since I primarily make quilts for charity (at my expense), I shop at Hancock and Ben Franklin Crafts locally. Hancocks usually has their quilt fabrics at a lesser price than LQS and they always have sales/coupons. Our Ben Franklin store has $10.99 fabrics but they also have tables of folded fabrics ranging from $3.99 - $7.99 a yard. I've found some great fabrics at $3.99.

The only time I have shopped LQS's (so far) was to find fabrics for a bargello I'm making to keep. I did pay more but only needed 1/2 yard pieces in 24 different fabrics. LQS's do have lovely fabrics ... just not cost effective for charity quilts.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:11 AM

I need to downsize some of my fabric....wish I knew what you were looking for.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:24 AM

All wonderful suggestions....Walmart, Joanns, church thrift sales, yard/garage sales. I buy my fabrics from all of those. My LQS is far too pricey for my budget! I have even bought a thrift store's bagful of heavy plaid flannel men's shirts! One of my softest, warmest quilts came from them.

Last edited by Debbie C; 02-05-2016 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:37 AM

Also check facebook. There are several groups that sell fabric both commercially and individually.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by nvb50 View Post
try Marshallsdrygoods.com
I love this place. Our Project Linus coordinator buys a lot of fabrics from them. Very nice quality fabric and very affordable.

Also a few other online shops with good prices and nice fabric -
www.fabric.com
www.thousandsofbolts.com
www.5bucksayard.com
Old 02-05-2016, 06:04 AM

I almost never pay full price and rarely buy from my LQS's. They are too expensive for me. There is a good quilt shop about two hours from me (Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC) that has good prices and a fantastic selection. Sometimes I road trip there. I buy selectively from JoAnn's, using a coupon or on sale and there are lots of good online options. I buy batting from JoAnn's, but only with a coupon. I do not like to machine quilt. Before I retired, I sent my large quilts out to be quilted, but that option is no longer an option. I do some hand quilting, but nothing bigger that throw size. I have started tieing my quilts and ha e found that I actually prefer it. The quilts are much softer and drape better.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:36 AM

I found some very good prices on king size flannel sheets at amazon. I was thrilled because that was a lot of material. Maybe keep an eye out for those type of things
Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 AM

Try fabric.com. I only shop sales. I would cringe to pay the prices that they want for fabric now and simply won't buy. When I started it was $3.95. Luckily I have a large stash. I did make the mistake of buying only fat quarters, jelly rolls and charm squares. Very little yardage left.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I am new to quilting and really enjoy it. Today I went to the quilt shop (closest is 65 miles away) to buy backing and binding for a twin size quilt. I was surprised to find all the fabric was $10.99 and up. It's been years since I have bought new fabric I had no idea that it was so expensive. I'm afraid that I won't be able to continue to quilt because of the price of fabric. Can you help me with suggestions on how to quilt economically. How about the prices online are they as expensive? I live in a rural area and have to drive to get to any store that sells fabric. How about Hobby Lobby and Joanns's is their fabric ok to quilt with?
I have used both JoAnn and Hobby Lobby and have had no problems. I believe Hobby Lobby prices are already marked 30% off and Joann always has coupons in their flyers for 40 - 60% off and you can use them on 1 cut of fabric. Also, I believe some on this board use sheets for backing. You can sometimes find them at one of the Dollar stores for even less. And don't forget about thrift stores such as Salvation Army. You can even buy clothing there and cut them up to make quilts. Good luck!