Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a budget...... >

Quilting on a budget......

Quilting on a budget......

Old 02-05-2016, 08:08 AM

Annie, I also live in a small town so no Hobby Lobby, JoAnne's, etc. The fabric stores within a 75 mile radius have the same price fabrics as you found so I do most of my shopping online. I find most of Connecting Threads fabrics to be of good quality and I usually wait till they're on sale. Also Hancock of Paducah has a large variety of backings and fabrics but again I wait till they're on sale plus I'll order enough to get free shipping so save even more.

Plus I don't let scraps go to waste and will find patterns to make use of them. I call these "freebie" quilts as they're made from leftovers.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM

I have found fabric at freecycle.org
Google freecycle.org, enter your city and follow the prompts to search their website. If you like it, it is free to join, then you can put out a search of your own. I have had success when looking for something specific such as, "in search of purple/lavendar/blue cotton fabric scraps 3 inch square and larger to use in making a baby quilt. "
Old 02-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I shop at JoAnn's mostly because it's close (7 miles) and generally only when there is a sale or I absolutely have to have a specific fabric. When JoAnn's has sales I like to buy 6-8 yds. of white or beige tone on tone fabrics for quilt block backings; then I check out their discounted fabrics, and sometimes I get lucky and find the perfect fabric for under $5/yd. I used to buy a majority of my fabric from Wal-Mart, but they closed that section of the store, unfortunately and I'd have to drive some distance to find a store that still carries fabrics. I do, however, check for the "feel" of the fabric in Wal-Mart or other discount store, as I have found very thin fabrics in JoAnn's and sometimes quilt shops. If the fabric is too thin it's not a bargain at any price. I would suggest watching for sales and use coupons. I've heard that Hobby Lobby has nice fabrics, however, I haven't been there yet. I have purchased fabric from Connecting Threads, Craftsy, and other on-line fabric stores and I have not been disappointed. My advice is to buy fabric you can afford and take advantage of sales and coupons. I found out a year or two ago that JoAnn's will give 15% off your total order if you are military, current or veteran, so I like to take my DH with me (he stays in the car most of the time, then comes to get me when he thinks I have been in there long enough - LOL0 and have him present his VA card, as he is a veteran, and he doesn't mind so much when we can save money. I think you will find a lot of joy when you quilt - quilting has helped me through some rough spots over the years, and my DH says I get grumpy when I'm not quilting.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM

I forgot to mention that all items offered or requested on freecycle.org must be free.

In response to using quilt shop fabrics or not, I let the project determine my choices. If I am making a seasonal table runner that will be washed infrequently and will not receive hard use such as a quilted bag or purse will, I use novelty fabrics from discount stores. For my granddaughter's baby quilts, I use high quality fabrics and batting. These will be washed more frequently, be dragged around, etc., so I really want them to be durable and colorfast.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 AM

keep looking. I rarely pay more than $8 for a yard and most of the time I pay a lot less. The only time I would spend that much is for my inspiration piece so I would not need very much of it. Spend time in a fabric store and learn about the fabrics, content, names, etc. Then you will feel more comfortable buying online. You can also find some great deals on Ebay. Many times someone is clearing about their grandmother's estate. Some of the fabric might not be great, but it works for learning and often you can use it with 'better' fabric. Just make sure if you buy online from a person that it is a smoke free home. Also, check thrift stores and remnant bins at fabric stores. You can find 1 yard pieces of several fabrics and this will make a top. When you are learning, use sheets as you backing. Also, you don't need ALL the notions to start with. A good seam ripper, rotary cutter and mat and a 6" x 24" ruler will get you started quilting. Then just watch for deals. Most quilters have a HUGE, HUGE stash of everything, but it took us years to collect it.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Marshall Dry Goods in Batesville, AR is a good online source.
I talked to three different quilters who were shopping at WalMart, and they had good things to say about the Waverly fabric. When I went online and read different articles about Waverly fabric, I read that it is comparable to Kona Cotton. I bought an armload of it, took it home, serged the raw edges and put it through the washer and dryer on a normal cycle with hot water. Compared with the Kona Cotton I have, they appear the same.
When I am in a thrift store, I head straight for the place where they hang the fabric or have it rolled and tied into bundles. If you see polished cotton that has instructions on the selvage to dry clean only, ignore that and put it through the washer and dryer. That washes out the starch and sizing and what you have is soft cotton. Quilt Guilds will sometimes have sales of member's excess fabric or fabric that has been donated or willed to them. Bonnie K. Hunter of Quiltville.com fame has a book out on making quilts from thrift store men's shirts.
I did not know that about polished cotton. I have passed up some beautiful one in the past because of the dry cleaning recommended. I won't pass them up anymore. Thanks for the information!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:11 PM

I am a dedicated thrift store upcycle-er. I use linens, including bed skirts, sheets, curtains, etc. I check for fabric content and prefer at least 60% cotton. Clothing is another great resource; scrubs come in many fun patterns and are good sturdy cotton. Skirts, blouses, shirts are all good places to find fabrics for quilting. A hint; the larger the size the more fabric you will harvest! Don't forget to check for napkin sets and bandanas.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:13 PM

Another source of batting/backing for lap size (50"x60") is the fleece throws that you can often find for only a few $ especially on clearance.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:35 PM

I bought a king size bedspread at the thrift store for seven dollars.

I gutted it for batting, and kept the fabric to make lined curtains for the garage. It's some kind of 80's white pink and blue pastel thing. The back is white so there's the lining. I'm really squeezing my money out of that one!

I got a queen size duvet cover for about three dollars. Both sides are the same-real cute purple flowers on a white background. I will use that for backing for the quilt I'm doing now.

I got another duvet cover for a dollar. Burgundy, pink and white.

I got a queen size white sheet for a dollar. Good background for Baltimore Album or Dresden Plate.

All cotton fabrics. All dirt cheap! If I didn't go to the thrift store I would never be able to do this.

Twelve dollars a yard at LQS?!! (Shuddering) That fabric better cut piece and quilt itself for that kind of money!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 PM

You can buy fabric here on the Board from members. You can buy it on eBay auctions. You can find it on craigslist. Be careful to calculate in the price of postage, so you will know you are getting a good deal. Thrift and secondhand stores have it, or you can buy good condition clothing to cut apart. I always check at Goodwill and Volunteers of America when they have a 1/2 off sale day for 100% cotton sheets. The batting is expensive too, and I've used blankets from thrift stores (purchased for $1 - $4) instead of manufactured quilt batting, and liked the result. If you join your local quilt guild, you may be able to trade fabrics you have with other members to get a better variety of prints or colors. Sometimes they have 'games' or 'raffles' and you might be the lucky winner of fabric. If you only want to sew 'modern designer' type prints, then usually you'll have to pay the big price for it. I like a mix of found fabric, old fabric, re-purposed fabric, and modern. Some quilt stores offer 'grab bags' where you buy a bag for a low price not knowing what is in it. I've got some very nice modern fat quarters that way. Also, there is often a sale table at quilt stores where you can find something you like for $4 - $5 a yard.

DresiArnaz, :-) Love your post. I forgot, yeah, I've bought the duvet covers too. For one price you get two sides.

Last edited by givio; 02-05-2016 at 09:08 PM.