I don't "get" Pinterest.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:15 PM

My friend made me sign up but I am not a fan. I am trying very hard not to spend so much time on the internet. Facebook is about my limit and I am not on Facebook everyday. For me it is easy to have an idea overload instead of inspiration and instead of sewing, I just want to sit and read or mindlessly watch TV.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
I understand the "-pinterest.com" but can someone tell me where & how to add this to my searches?
Most search engines understand the - sign, which means exclude everything after the -. Just add a space after your usual search string and type in -whateveryouwanttoexclude . I use that minus sign on Amazon and eBay as well as Google.

Example: free quilt patterns -pinterest

Edit: You can also do searches on Google on just one website, such as the QB. Sometimes if I am looking for a thread or quilt I know I've seen on the QB, I will put into the Google search engine:

site:quiltingboard.com log cabin tutorial

This will pick up only comments about log cabin tutorials that are on this website.

p.s. I love Pinterest for the inspiration. My biggest complaint is that it is not easy to edit my boards; very time-consuming.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-10-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If you're doing a google search, add '-pinterest.com' to your search parameters and it will not look in pinterest for results. This does not necessarily work for all search engines.
Thanks for that!
Slapping my own head. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Wow... so much negativity towards Pinterest. It sounds like most of it stems from a misunderstanding of what Pinterest is. It is NOT a free pattern site. It is a bulletin board. You "Pin" images you are "Interested" in = Pinterest. If someone posts a link to what they claim is a free pattern and it turns out to be a rabbit trail, get mad at the poster, not the format.

I find Pinterest highly useful for storing ideas and inspiration. So what if the links are dead, as long as I have the original picture I can go from there. And many "pins" do have live links to other places, to recipes, or to patterns. But you can't expect all to. Lots of them are just pictures from picture hosting sites such as Flickr.

It's really no different from Google images, except you can store the images you want to keep.
Yes, this above.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Well said, sewbizgirl.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
I guess I'm the "odd man out". I love pinterest! It's my go to for information on everything. I save recipes, patterns and tutorials on just about everything. It can be frustrating at times when you get taken to a page that no longer exists or doesn't give any information.
I'm with you, I love it! I think many people have expectations that are too high. If a pattern was offered free at the time it was saved, it doesn't mean it's always going to be free. I get many ideas from Pinterest like seeing many different fidget quilt ideas as this is something I want to make at some point. I also like to look at recipes for lunches. If the pic there doesn't take me to the recipe, most times I can google the recipe and find it. T
Old 08-13-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Wow... so much negativity towards Pinterest. It sounds like most of it stems from a misunderstanding of what Pinterest is. It is NOT a free pattern site. It is a bulletin board. You "Pin" images you are "Interested" in = Pinterest. If someone posts a link to what they claim is a free pattern and it turns out to be a rabbit trail, get mad at the poster, not the format.
I find Pinterest highly useful for storing ideas and inspiration. So what if the links are dead, as long as I have the original picture I can go from there. And many "pins" do have live links to other places, to recipes, or to patterns. But you can't expect all to. Lots of them are just pictures from picture hosting sites such as Flickr.

It's really no different from Google images, except you can store the images you want to keep.
I totally agree with you. It is not a free pattern site and it's not the fault of Pinterest if someone posts a dead link.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:45 AM

See, this is the kind of thing I didn't "get" about Pinterest. I don't understand how it works. This explains how those dead links get there and that I that I shouldn't expect certain things. Makes it less frustrating now that I know that. Good information.

If a pattern was offered free at the time it was saved, it doesn't mean it's always going to be free.
it's not the fault of Pinterest if someone posts a dead link.
Watson
Old 08-14-2017, 05:59 AM

I'm a big fan of Pinterest. when I save it to my pins, it also gives the info (or blog)to follow that person,which usually has the free patterns in it. a quick and easy way for me to keep account of any craft you could mention.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:43 AM

My "problem" with pinterest is now I have too uch inspiration! I better live an awful long time to get all those quilts made! Seriously, I use it a lot and it helps me remember color schemes or patterns I want to try.