Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guys help! >

Guys help!

Guys help!

Old 01-23-2019, 03:05 PM

I am notorious for "gifting" quilts. This past Christmas I made a very large lap (full bed size) quilt for my sister who is the beneficiary of a lot of my projects. She understands the cost of quilts, time, etc., However my favorite LQS had a sale with the same quilt design but different application. I had added yo-yos and buttons to it. When she opened the gift I just happened to mention the incident letting her know that her's was more detailed and the owner liked my choice of fabrics and stuff better than hers with the cost she was asking. This made her more appreciative and delighted with her gift. Sis also thinks she needs to keep me busy sewing so I won't get bored. I will say she does gift me with fabric, magazines and stuff. Just saying it doesn't hurt to keep people informed.

I also had a "friend" that asked me to make a quilt for her daughter and offered to pay me $150. That did not begin to cover the cost of the quilt. It was an appliquéd queen size quilt. I grudgingly made the quilt knowing I could not accept the money from her. My heart was in the wrong place as I worked on this quilt. I was a snowbird in AZ and she lived in another state. I completed the quilt and mailed it to her. She passed away within a week of receiving the quilt. Boy did I feel bad. There are a lot of good suggestions on this board as to how to handle the situation but the ultimate decision is yours to make.