Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Budget >

Quilting Budget

Quilting Budget

Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 AM

Last January, I said I WAS NOT going to buy a kit all year long. I have the rest to this month to fulfill that. And I have not bought a kit. I have enough kits for the next 5 years.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 AM

I do have a monthly budget. It's based on what my DH gets to spend that month. So, basically, what he gets, I get. So right now, my current play budget is around $100. but, that includes my lunch out with my quilting buddy. We make sure the bills are covered so that way, he doesn't get upset when I bring fabric home. In fact, he likes to see my latest buys.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:39 AM

I've never had a budget but I do try to be reasonable. Luckily, I'm not bad about buying fabric unless I have a project for it. Notions make me crazy, though. I see so many that I want. I am very involved in a church prayer quilt ministry with a very small budget. Amazing how crafty you can become when there is so little funding. We have made some absolutely gorgeous quilts by just pulling from the scraps in our stash. I think the financial problems many of us are having is the greatest lesson on how to get by with less. Also when I moved to a new house (downsized) recently, I was very aware of how much I had saved that I really didn't need. So in my home as in my quilting, I am really trying to get by with what I have (and I'm thankful for it) and use my brain to get the creative juices flowing.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I have been working mostly off of my stash all year!! So... that means I get to buy some new fabrics next year.

I really don't budget myself, but then I normally don't buy fabric 'just because', only when I need it for a project I'm working on now.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by kapatt
My husband and I work together on the household budget. (We are using Dave Ramsey's system of getting out of debt.)
We have determined a set amount for each of us to spend each month for things that we want that are outside of the budget (in other words we get an allowance). How we spend that allowance is our own decision. My husband is retired so we only get paid once a month. (Right now, we each get $100 a month.) I use my money for anything quilting related (or for personal birthday gifts or for going out for lunch with friends.) I want to say right here that my husband seems to be able to make his money go a lot further than I can make my money go. It must be because he doesn't quilt. ;-)
We can't dip into the household money if we waste our allowance so that makes us behave when it comes to how we spend our allowance.
So, I guess you can say that "yes" I am on a budget for my quilting addiction. When things come up that I want but will take up more money (like Dave McCallum's featherweight CD and book) I usually save for a couple of months before I buy it.

We have been married for 28 years. We use to fight over money but we don't now. Each of us get the same amount and each of us can spend it without explaining to the other one how it was spent. (We both trust each other that the money is not going to be used in the wrong way...like for drugs or for a gambling addiction.)
My husband and I are using the Dave Ramsey plan too!!! It is so freeing not to argue over money!!

Rose
Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Banned

I give kudos to all of you who can live on 100$ a month. I wish I could do that...I don't know how that is poissible? I mean a few lunches with friends and a couple of movies and that money is gone....I would have no hobbie money?? You really have to pick and choose every month which is important.....I need to find some dicsipline!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 AM
cjc

That's me, only it's car parts (not parts to keep cars running, but project car parts)
Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM

My mother who owned a drapery/upholstery shop had a bumper sticker that said it all. "Who ever dies with the most fabric wins." When she passed away my sister and I went into her "sewing nest" and decided she won. This Christmas will be 12 years since I inherited 1/2 her fabric and am finishing the last of her projects to give to her grandchildren as an heirloom. Only other quilters or sewers could appreciate this saying and the results I inherited. I say keep buying (within budget) and starting your projects. My Mothers fabric were a true treasure for me, my sister and all her grandchildren. :)
Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 AM

I live on a farm and do woodworking in the nice weather. When it turns cold, my need for a craft turns to quilting. I usually stock up once or twice a year and that lasts me. Joann's had a great internet free shipping deal over T'giving, so I stocked up on flannel ($1.99) and fleece ($2.49) which I use for backings. I went to WalMart in Oct. to stock up on cotton for the tops. I'm all set now and poor only for a short period!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 AM

"My husband and I are using the Dave Ramsey plan too!!! It is so freeing not to argue over money!!"

Rose

Yes it is!!! I wish I had used this system years ago. There is no resentment because one spent more money than the other one. There are no fights about how much was charged because we don't charge.

Because we have been diligent in paying off our bills, we could up our allowance but I would really like to get to the point that we are debt free.