Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps? >
  • Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

• Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Old 08-12-2023, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    Many people would be happy to pay the postage to get your scraps, so if you don't have an easy outlet such as guild or sewing group, post wherever (including here!) that you've got scraps that you will send for the price of postage. If in the US, you can get one of the flat rate boxes and when full, put up a thread for it and how much. You'll get takers, I am sure.

It'll be out of your house, in the hands of someone who wants them, and not filling up our landfills.
    The trouble is, in cleaning out my quilt room today, since this post had me pull a lot of my other scraps and yardage that I no longer love, I could probably fill about 10 or more of the large (12 x 12 x 6) and to mail each one of them it cost $22.80. I'm not sure people would pay 22.80 for a box of scraps or yardage that they don't know if they want all of them or not.
    Old 08-12-2023, 11:15 AM

I put my offerings in the free offers if anyone is close enough to pick them up.
    Old 08-12-2023, 05:42 PM

Western Wilson, Terry Rowland's process just fascinates me!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Old 08-12-2023, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    My preference is for scrap quilts - even if they aren't truly from scraps, so lots of small pieces.

There are so many who want scraps, I wouldn't throw away pieces that are 2" or larger. Fabrics that I am sick to death of, or really, truly dislike, I put in a bag and take to a guild meeting. I've also taken projects that are partly done that I really don't care for. Out of my space and they are always grabbed up.

Many people would be happy to pay the postage to get your scraps, so if you don't have an easy outlet such as guild or sewing group, post wherever (including here!) that you've got scraps that you will send for the price of postage. If in the US, you can get one of the flat rate boxes and when full, put up a thread for it and how much. You'll get takers, I am sure.

It'll be out of your house, in the hands of someone who wants them, and not filling up our landfills.
    I could even be persuaded to pay for half or even all the postage if I knew my scraps were going to a loving home that would use and appreciate them! It would feel better than throwing them out, but not weigh me down with the psychological burden of keeping them.

Will definitely give this idea a try!!
    Old 08-13-2023, 06:18 AM

Crzypatcher- I love her site too and had never heard of her before reading it on this board.
    Old 08-13-2023, 10:59 AM

So....save them all and do this:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1489237...search_click=1

or this:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1515926...-2&frs=1&sts=1

Or
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/Seamstress..._id=1515926077

This just amazes me:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1061425...search_click=1

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 08-13-2023 at 11:08 AM.
    Old 08-13-2023, 09:27 PM

those hexagons are so tiny!! Boggles my mind!
    Old 08-14-2023, 04:49 AM

I have a few people on this board who send me scraps and I pay shipping. Nothing too small say smaller than 2.5 inches and sometimes UFO’s. I just purchased a long arm so the UFO’s gives me a way to practice. Then I donate them to the homeless, nursing homes or foster children. Almost everything I make is with scraps. I love jigsaw puzzles and the scrappy quilting reminds me of that.
    Old 08-14-2023, 05:17 AM

1CharmShort, those are incredible! They make my scraps look gigantic, lol. Making such small quilts with such precision is not in my wheelhouse.

Jshep, I love what you are doing! Helping our earth and those in need, all while learning a valuable skill.

LI Diva - I think it's a good way to get rid of what we no longer want to deal with. One man's trash and all...
    Old 08-14-2023, 06:48 AM

I feel your pain! I decided several years back to donate bags of scraps I don't like or too small. The smallest sizes I keep are fat qtrs.