Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilt projects are you working on now? >

What quilt projects are you working on now?

What quilt projects are you working on now?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I have my I SPY squares ready to pack and send. Need envelopes and haven't made it to Wallymart yet.

Have 1/2 my Boomeran F8s cut and bagged - see above.
Ready to cut the other half.

Need to clean the sewing table. 7 cats couldn't find one mouse in there right now.

Then I WILL get to Kennedy's quilt

after that - finish Chocolate and Raspberry squares, farm ponds.......So much to do - so little time.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:04 PM

I am working on a grandmothers flower garden if you have never done a hexagon quilt don't start they are very very addicting. Also trying to finish 3 BOM from last year just need to sashing to blocks and borders. If I can get away from my hexagons long enough. Also started the BOM from block central.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:54 PM

I just finished piecing a quilt top I made from using only my stash. The pattern is called gridlock from a K. Fasset book which I enlarged to use on a queen sized bed. Excuse the poor photos, the second is too yellow and the first is with flash and somewhat washed out.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63962.jpe   attachment-63963.jpe  
Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM

beautiful!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 PM

Those batiks are beautiful!! I've been stashing them just waiting for the right project to come along. Here's the beginning of a baby quilt for a friend who just (last Friday!!) found out she's pregnant. I just finished trimming the blocks and am playing around w/ their setting. Yes, those are bright colored little cat heads on black. I took a pic of the cover of the book the pattern is from.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63986.jpe   attachment-63987.jpe   attachment-63988.jpe  
Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I am hand quilting a quilt that my MIL started. She made one for her bed when she retired. It is all ivory muslin and each block has a candlewicked design on it. She used large block and stitched them together and added 2 inch wide ivory lace over the seams between each block. Then she had it hand quited. Everyone loved it and kept asking "where's mine?" She was worried there would be a fight over it after she died, so she started right away embroidering blocks to make each of her 8 children a quilt. She finished the second one by herself and then asked me to help. I cut blocks and serged the edges. I hand quilted one. I stitched lace on another. Quilting gave me the chance to know what a wonderful person she was. Anyway, one of the last conversations I had with her was about the last quilt........my husband's...he is the youngest. She started to cry and said she was afraid she would not get it finished before she died. I asked her if she would like me to finish it for her. She really cried then and said yes. She was glad all her kids would get one. She had 27 out of 42 blocks embroideried. I put them together with the unfinished one and I am hand quilting it like the others were done. In the plain blocks, I am quilting in a design. It is in unbleached muslin, with ivory candlewicking and ivory lace. I am working on the 19th block so I am almost halfway done. I am hoping to have it done by our 25 anniversary in June. She has been gone 2 years now and I miss her very much. I have already given the quilt a name......A Promice Kept.....she for making one for each of her kids and me, for finishing it for her as i promised.
That was a sad story with a happy ending. I am so happy you were able to help her and all the children have love from their mother. Not to mention the relationship that grew between the two of you.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:23 PM

Finished two placements with matching napkins so I can teach a new technique to my students next week. Started a tropical fish wall hanging for my new GS due in Aug. Working on a quilt for charity so my DD (mother of new GS) can raffle it for her Bible Study group. Decided that I need to crochet an afgahan for Olivia and the new GS. Need to finish some clothes for Olivia and THEN I need to make a wedding quilt for my brother that got married in Sept. Didn't know he wanted a quilt until the week before his wedding so he knows it's coming, sometime.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Hi, I have inherited a double knit quilt that is about 70 years old and was hand sewn and applicade and now trying to finish it. I think I will tie it and not hand quilt it with a design since double knit is not easy to work with that way. It is on the quilt frame waiting for me. I have to make a baby quilt this week for a christening on the 17th. So the dk quilt will have to wait. It is very colorful and anxious to get it done. I was thinking of tieing the blocks in the colors of the flowers in that square. Suggestions appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63996.jpe   attachment-63997.jpe  
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM

I've been working on 3 D9P's for 10 months. I absolutely hate them. These are for my children, their first bed sized. I thought I'd picked a quick and easy pattern....but all patterns seem easy when I stitch them with my quilt club. Lots of firsts in this one. I used the length of fabric instead of width for one of them because I didn't realize the stripe was going the wrong way. It's lightening mcqueen fabric, so there is an up/down and a left/right. I figured out a real 1/4 is useless compared to a scant. ALL the blocks came out different sizes. One one of them, I didn't realize I used a different ruler to cut one out, I really thought all my rulers were the same width...um...no. I've always pillowcased my small/baby quilts. This is the first and LAST time I will pillowcase twin size quilts. I've wanted to shoot myself since these things got cut. But..they are for my kids and now they know so I can't just shove them in my closet and forget they exist.

So....I have plenty of quilts to be done this year, including another D9P, though a smaller version. SO...I hope to get them all finished ASAP (they are all in the same stage, hole now stitched, so all I have left to do is tie tack)...I won't start my new projects until these are done...I'm so glad they aren't going on my bed so I dont' have to look at them. My 5 year old has decided all 3 are "bootiful" so I smile and say thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 PM

I'm working on a quilt for my husband that I have hand pieced.. It contains MI lighthouse squares in the middle of a star. Along the sides I made nautical flags spelling out Michigan Lighthouses and across the top I want to spell out Michigan and 2009 (10) by paper piecing. I have to learn how to pp first.
I also have some blocks from a class that I am putting together for my sisters 50 bday in May. I was learnign to hand piece andn did the squares in shadees of purple. This is her favorite color so I decided to piece togethere into a wall hanging.
I also have blocks started for a calendar quilt.
Off to a new year and lots of sewing .