Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I am NOT proud of this! >

I am NOT proud of this!

I am NOT proud of this!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Ummmm....I'm not sure Tiff, but my MIL swore that duck tape could fix anything :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, but won't it stick to the end of my nails and then never come off??? It might make cooking dinner a bit strange. :lol:
Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I don't know about that, but she did have the inside of her refrig taped together.... :roll: and lots of other stuff. We smile everytime we see duck tape because of how it reminds us of her. :lol: (and I do know that its really duct tape)
Old 01-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Each time I try fmq, it is better than the last time! I want to jump to really good, but I think there is a process here and a learning curve. Just have to work through it and get better gradually! Stick with it, it will happen.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Duct tape & bailing twine are a girls best friend. I can fix anything just about with them & those little tie things they put cords together with.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Don't quit, you're on your way. Just keep practicing. I first started on just muslin squares or really ugly fabric that I sandwiched with scrap batting. I bound them and used them for dust rags and cleaning cloths. I then moved on to candle mats, placemats and table runners. Much easier to manuever than a full size quilt. I'm doing quilts now, but it took me a couple of years until I was really comfortable with my free motion quilting. Keep at it, it's really relaxing once you just kind of let it happen.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 PM

You did a very nice job! It does take practice, and I would definately start with smaller pieces until you get the hang of doing fmq.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

I don't think it is bad at all! Most start out with larger loops so you aren't alone.

And yes, with practice it does get much easier! I love to meander.

Looks pretty good to me!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 AM

Like your quilt and LOVE your sense of humor (Good God Gertie by the time I was done I was sweating bullets) Too funny! I can identify with what you are saying, girlfriend;Been there, done that ....... as far as working myself into a sweat is concerned. From what I've been told, the only way to get good at FMQ is to keep practicing. Personally, I think you did a really good job for your first stab at it. Just a suggestion, though; You might want to practice on smaller pieces, such as pot holders, wall hangings, and table runners. Not having to deal with the bulk of fabric makes a big difference for beginners like us.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Sorry...you did not win the contest!!!
I love your quilt, and I think that you did a very good job on your first FMQ attempt. :D:D:D
You should give yourself a BIG pat on the back, for taking on such a large project for your first attempt too!!!:D:D:D

Please don't get discouraged!!! For me the hardest was the first attempt...it gets easier each time!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 AM

You mean that there is hope for me? I am so afraid to start a free motion project. Maybe this week I will do a pillow top? Would this be a good size to begin?