Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your "must-have" in a sewing room? >

What is your "must-have" in a sewing room?

What is your "must-have" in a sewing room?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 AM

In response to the plug in problem.....when my hubby set up my sewing room he bought me a strip with about 5 plug ins and screwed it to the wall a few inchs from my design wall and convenient to my sewing table. He bought one with just a four ft cord so it is just long enough to go down the wall and to the plug down there on the wall. It is so convenient! Sounds like such a little thing but when ya have a bad back it is a great convenience. As far as light...he bought me a 4ft shop light and hung it from the ceiling and boy is that room lit up now! It is not a pretty light but it looks fine! I bought a few of those plastic drawers from Walmart. They have 3 drawers in them about 20 or 30 inches wide and 6 or 7 inches deep. I stack them and it holds alot of fabric or what ever you want to put in them. I have another one shoved under the end of my sewing table. My most recent addition to my sewing room is my screen door!! My hubby made me a screen door so my dogs and my kitty can not get in my sewing room but the air conditioning can get in. I normally kept the door shut when not in there sewing but in the hot months of the year it got really hot in there because the a/c was not able to circulate into the room. My stabilizer for doing machine embroidery was gummy when i tried to use it and i would have to turn on the ac unit in that room to cool it off when i wanted to sew. It would take an hour or so before it was cool in there. Sounds all good but having the screen door solves the problem and now don't have to crank up the other ac and saves money. Keeps the kitty out and off my table. He even painted the door and the screen pink to match my room.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by SuSu
I am just moving from a 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom condo -- the lure being having a huge room to use as my sewing room. It opens onto a glass enclosed porch that will house my new mid-arm HQ Avante. So I wonder -- what is one thing that you suggest that I absolutely must have? It might be something that you have re-purposed to use in your sewing area; it might be an inexpensive notion or an expensive piece of furniture. I want to know what I should look for to add!

I am excited that I will no longer be sewing on the dining room table and will be able to keep things set up all the time.
Thank you for asking that question! I just had my contractor take the 1960s out of my playroom and bring it up to 2010! It will now be my sewing/craft room (also used by my 6 and 8 year old grandsons when they visit). I wrote down all of the ideas and will shop, little by little for the "fillings". One other suggestion I am using. The BOTTOM shelves, which are hard for me to bend down to, will contain large plastic boxes with all of the toys and stuff for the boys! It's also a deterent to them climbing up to get things. They will have the use of the big tables when they are over as well. They think I am doing the room for them! It will also be my major 65th birthday in a few weeks and I have asked anyone who wants to get me something to make it something for that room. (Funny, for my 60th, before I started quilting, all I wanted was massages!) I am sooooooooooooo excited to get the room up and going BUT SLOWLY. I don't want to get something in a rush that I won't be happy about. The set up I have been using has worked well but this will be a lot brighter and a lot prettier! Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions. If I EVER learn how to post pictures, I will!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
A design wall. I have a 16ft. x 8ft. design wall area and it stays full all the time.
I have the same thing in my fantasy quilting room. Tee Hee.
What a magnificent thing to have. Mine's just 4x6 and has to be stored behind a dresser. One of my goals in life it to have a huge sewing room designed just for me and with no stairs to climb.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
My must haves are storage, storage and more storage! I'm going to hunt for an old dresser to turn into a cutting table. If the top isn't wide enough I'll go to the lumber yard and get a short counter top piece to attach. I would get a dresser to turn into an ironing station too but I don't have room for it in this room.
dresser into iron cool idea ;).
Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Lots of light coming thru the windows with a fabulous view! Your favorite music or TV program and 2 golden retrievers to help you with breaks. Can I have a treat? I have to go outside! Please play with me. Hold my paw?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Lots of light coming thru the windows with a fabulous view! Lots of space to lay out fabric, cut and space to iron. Your favorite music or TV program and 2 golden retrievers to help you with breaks. Can I have a treat? I have to go outside! Please play with me. Hold my paw?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:46 AM

True lighting and a good cutting surface...neither of which I have, I might add. :( I did get some good ideas from all of your posts. I do like having my sewing/den combo except that it feels messy all the time. And, darn it...I think I am the one who is messing it up! I do use an Ott lite to help with the lighting issue and I have one of those extra wide ironing boards that fit over a regular sized ironing board and has a cutting mat for the top of it. I will say it is better than nothing, but when I am in serious project cutting mode I do that downstairs on a butcher block island in my kitchen (exellent lighting and space).
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM

time and lots of it
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
My must haves are storage, storage and more storage! I'm going to hunt for an old dresser to turn into a cutting table. If the top isn't wide enough I'll go to the lumber yard and get a short counter top piece to attach. I would get a dresser to turn into an ironing station too but I don't have room for it in this room.
Yeah! I have dresser that could do the trick, thus freeing up a bit of space for me to tuck a comfy chair into the corner so any company who might come along ( like my friend/quilter guru Eileen!) could sit and enjoy some tea while I quilt ( and she can instruct, tee hee).
My third bedroom is slowly becoming my quilt room and as so many of you have said adequate light is important. Right now I am ' in the back, in the booth, in the corner, in the dark.' And if you remember this phrase from a very old comedy show, then you are getting up there, my dears. I can't wait for it to be done! ;-)
Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SuSu
I am just moving from a 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom condo -- the lure being having a huge room to use as my sewing room. It opens onto a glass enclosed porch that will house my new mid-arm HQ Avante. So I wonder -- what is one thing that you suggest that I absolutely must have? It might be something that you have re-purposed to use in your sewing area; it might be an inexpensive notion or an expensive piece of furniture. I want to know what I should look for to add!

I am excited that I will no longer be sewing on the dining room table and will be able to keep things set up all the time.
I am so fortunate. My husband is a woodworker and loves to do anything I want done. So far, we have our old dining room table in the sewing room and he has put in a strip on the underside to plug all the machines in and keep the cords short & off the floor so we can vacuum. He made me an oversized ironing board that pushes under the cutting table. I am tall so my husband took a tool cabinet and added wings to it. The wings fold up & it has wheels and if we are using the room we can fold it up and wheel it away. The wings down, the center has a cutting board, with room for lots of stuff!!!! all quilters have stuff!!!!
I vote for tv and design wall and ironing board and a window to look out at the birds. And fabric storage - I've got lots of that, but that's for another day.

:-)
Judi