Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To Donate or not to Donate >
  • To Donate or not to Donate

• To Donate or not to Donate

Old 04-21-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    nope, its not worht it, in my experience..just donate the 30 bucks and then donate the quilt to someone who needs it.
    Agreed :thumbup:
    Old 04-22-2010, 03:51 AM

My EX-DL took the quilt and baby clothes to the flea market and sold them. Didn't want all that home made stuff. Didn't do that again.
    Old 04-22-2010, 04:14 AM

I agree. I've seen auctions where they actually will "raffle" off a quilt, knowing its value. They might sell tickets for $10 but need to sell a minimum of 30-40 tickets. Now, to me, that would be fair. They usually display the quilt (full view) for all to see its worth.

Originally Posted by sewgull
    Maybe you could mention to someone the real Value of these quilts, they may not be aware and would be happy to up the bidding price. Maybe give a suggested price.
    Giving a suggested price is a good idea. It hurts our feeling when our work is taked for granted.[/quote]
    Old 04-22-2010, 04:34 AM

People look at my quits and tell me I need to sell them vs giving them away, but I would rather give them away than be embarrassed by how little money they'd bring in. I thought about selling on Ebay. By the time, I'd pay their fees I am better off donating them to Project Linus and get the tax deduction.
    Old 04-22-2010, 04:38 AM

I sew for Project Linus too. It's a nice diversity from the more complex quilts I sometimes make. Simple designs are fun and fast to make. That would be another option - use simple patterns that don't take much time to make. But, again, $30 for a quilt doesn't cover the cost no matter what the pattern.

Originally Posted by vicki reno
    People look at my quits and tell me I need to sell them vs giving them away, but I would rather give them away than be embarrassed by how little money they'd bring in. I thought about selling on Ebay. By the time, I'd pay their fees I am better off donating them to Project Linus and get the tax deduction.
    Old 04-22-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by cabinqltr
    So sorry you had such a dreadful experience. A few years ago I donated 2 queensize quilts, one at a time 2 different years to our local Fire Co Aux to raffle. I also made the tickets, no expense to them. The quilts were on display different places that the ladies went to sell tickets for about 3 months. The ladies really worked at this project. We are a little country community with a volunteer fire department. The 2 quilts made them $3000. I could not donate that much so I was glad to donate and they did the work of selling the tickets.
    Ruth
    I think you hit on something. I guess the reason I had donated a quilt was in the hope that it would bring more than the cash I could have donated. Howeve, seeing that was not the case, I'll be going with cash from here on - unless it's a rafffle - and from what those on this board say, that's the way to go!
    Old 04-22-2010, 05:06 AM

People have ask if make quilts to sell? NO!
    I would rather give them away, cause they are
    not going to want to pay what I would have to charge
    They don't realize it can cost a lot just to
    make one. Not counting anything for the time.

I have donated things to auctions (like antiques) and have seen them sell for little of nothing.
    Made me feel sick
    Old 04-22-2010, 05:07 AM

Know how you feel Mary. A few years ago I made a twin size quilt for the silent auction at the school for autistic children my DIL works at. They usually get very big prices for the donated items but the bidding stopped at $125 after the school's director's handicapped daughter submitted her bid.

Raffles seem the best way to go for raising the most dollars but it does require much more work. Here in Jersey you must register with your town or county, have chance books printed, display the item in various places over a period of time, etc. whereas an auction at the fundraiser doesn't require so much work. May in Jersey
    Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 AM

I just finished my first quilt. Did I ever learn a lesson on cost of material, time, effort and love. I made it for my 9 year grandson for his birthday. I am so sorry in one way because it will never be appreciated & discared at some point. I only hope someone gets it that loves it. I also make cakes for birthday's. I just made my last. People don't understand. So raffle or donate it is!! I feel with you as you see you are not alone. Love to fellow quilter.
    Old 04-22-2010, 05:16 AM
    Power Poster

I'm going to board the "donate the money" wagon this time. I do donate quilts to the causes that I choose..but not for selling, auctioning or even raffling. I'd rather the quilt be used by the org.....like quilts for kids or Project Linus.