Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!! >

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 AM

Your great room is bigger than the whole ground floor of my house!!!!!

It IS a pain putting stuff away all the time!!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 AM

LOL I have a 3 bedroom house with one bedroom for guests and sewing and the other one was for computers. My dear father built me a murphy bed in the sewing room and I had to push everything aside (ha ha) for overnight guests. Now, with a laptop and no further need for a home office as such I sew in the other bedroom and the guest room just gets used for lots of sewing storage in the closet and the printer and other minor office type stuff. Works great! And, I don't have to quit sewing when guests come to stay.........
Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 AM

Dear Roben, thank you so much for your delightful scene-setting of your" sewing thingies". I have slowly but quite consistently let my sewing thingies take over almost every room in our home. My DH doesn't complain but it bothers me. :roll:
Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by franie
Scraps multiply at night when the house is silent! LOL
Oh Franie, I wondered how that happened! I think you are quite right.

:lol:
Old 04-27-2010, 07:00 AM

We turned our dining room into an office and sewing room. My awesome old Bernina sits in front of floor to ceiling windows. I have also claimed a big corner of the living room for cutting and ironing, and I do handwork in whatever room has the best light or the most entertaining activity going on in it. Oh, and the kitchen table is usually covered with drawings of quilt designs, magazines and books. Piles of quilt books waiting to go back to the library are in several other rooms. No complaints yet.

My autistic son has his train sets all over the house at any given moment, so my mess is actually secondary. He makes me look organized and tidy!

I DREAM of having my own (huge) studio with a design wall and a longarm! How about a nice big cutting/work table at a good height for standing at? I'll live vicariously through some of you!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Somewhere on a site I saw a woman who actually built another HOUSE on her property to put all her quilting stuff in.

I wanna be her when I grow up!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oh no!!! Please don't tell me that is the SOLUTION! It would be nice though, wouldn't it???? Hmmm... We actually are zoned to have 2 homes on our property AND we have 10 acres. Oh! I better quit thinking along those lines.... 8-)
Old 04-27-2010, 07:19 AM

I love this thread! I have not posted for quite a while, am still trying to get settled into the house we recently bought. We, also are empty nesters, but the nestees and grandkids visit often. We have the Master Suite, a lil girls guest rm and bath upstairs. Downstairs is a very large guest room and full bath.

Here's the beauty ... when we bought this house, hubby said I could choose any 2 rooms for sewing! (I love this man)

I chose as my primary studio, a beautiful 12 X 20 room with NO windows (to not let the light degrade my fabric). It has 2 large walk-in closets (yippeeeeee). This is the room for my quilting frame, cutting table, ironing station, and tons of storage/display.

My second choice is about 1/3 of our family room (just out the door of the studio). In this room is his desk and puter, my desk and puter (complete with EQ6). Beside my desk is an antique drafting table where I do my piecing. Behind that is my design wall. I like to be near him when I work/play. In our office, next to the downstairs guest bathroom, there is also lots of storage, lots of built-ins, but most important, a little wine frig that also has diet coke and other happy things. The other room downstairs is his shop. It's a little bigger than my studio, but not nearly as cute. I'm planning pics after my new floor is installed. Right now it has butt-ugly carpet. He has bought me oak laminate flooring to be installed as soon as I get that quilt out of the frame so we can move it. *Whew* Sorry for this being so lengthy!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 AM

We had to downsize a bit when we moved into the house we are now in. When unpacking, I was lamenting the lack of space for my sewing and my DH made a quip "why don't you just use the LR"? I thought about it and did just that.....we have a FR and if we do have company, which isn't often, we go in there......works for everyone here and I have a lovely window to look out of when I am sewing (and I can be the nosie neighbor without looking like one....LOL)
Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 AM

I recently got a Featherweight 221 which now resides in the table that was my aunt's (made specifically for this kind of machine way back then). It is in my bedroom in a space that is perfect for it against the wall. I also have a big Pennsylvania blanket chest in there that has my stash and notions and etc in it. I have two other machines (Brother XR52 and a Kenmore) that need repair. I have not rushed to repair them since I love my Featherweight so much. I still use my cutting board on the dining room table and put it away when not in use as we do not have a table in the kitchen. The DR and Kit. run into each other and is a nice large area but I don't want another table in there.
I do have a large quilt frame that my DH made with a hardware kit from Hinterberg and we purchased the lumber and pipes to roll onto. We figure we saved about $300 at least doing this. That resides in the family room in the back end of the house over to the side so that it is not cluttering the room at all. I do have a guest room back there but don't want to turn it into a sewing room (at least at this point) since I do have a lot of company from out of state. So that is my setup.
Originally Posted by franie
Scraps multiply at night when the house is silent! Yes, I have a very small sewing room and my Tin Lizzie does not fit in there--so I have this area in the living room that wraps around in - a L shape and DH grumbled that more and more sewing stuff showing up in the area. What's a gal gonna do? I try to keep it tidy--need more shelves etc. I do like having the small sewing room to retreat to. Two people can hardly move around together in there. My santuary! And it is my house and I will do and have what I want where I want! LOL
Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Oh YES....I told my DH last week that a lot of my sewing supplies travel a lot more then I do!! I think I finally have it in it's permanent location now!! Oh happy days!!!!

Ditter