Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Show me you ugly/utility quilts! >

Show me you ugly/utility quilts!

Show me you ugly/utility quilts!

Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 PM

I love this quilt. It seems to tell a story! Very interesting!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:15 PM

To me, the two-toned gray one is quite artistic if you took out the middle section and put more grey pieces in that spot. It has a soft look to it, but is really a piece of art.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I hate, hate, HATE this quilt I made. So much so that I gave it away as a Christmas gift. :twisted:
I love, love, love that quilt!!! Can I be on your Christmas list!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:08 AM

I don't see ugly in any of the posted pictures. I see sampler blocks, I see cuddly, comfy, warm quilts . Now for an ugly quilt, I made the granddaddy of them all in a quilt class...I can't find the picture of it but it was one of those quilts where you stacked up a bunch of 12 inch square blocks then cut the squares in 3 uneven pieces and rotated the top square to the bottom then kept doing this rotation as you sewed the blocks back together so it was multicolored blocks when you finished. It was so ugly! I pity the poor little person who got it. I gave it as one of my charity quilts to foster kids and I still think I owe that little person a REAL quilt!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally quilts were made to be warmers...and cuddly....and use up materials that quilters had on hand...they are ALL beautiful in their own way...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and they all tell their own stories.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 PM

I think your quilt is wonderful! What's not to like?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 PM

I don't see any real ugly quilts here. I really like a lot of them very much, especially Eddies.

If my ugly wasn't packed away with my camping gear, I would show that. Now that truly is ugly. It is the lovely polyesters of yesteryear. Leftovers from the days of making my mom pants. Squares of poly with big pieces of poly on the back. Very heavy and no batting needed. It's purpose is strickly to act as a pad on top of the air mattress. The grandkids said it worked great to keep the cold air of the mattress away from them.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 PM

I don't think EITHER quilt is ugly ... and, if I owned either one, I would gift it to any place where blankets and cheering up are muchly needed. Good job! <wave>
Frankly, I don't see any reason to make a quilt except that it be utility and to be used ... and, utility doesn't translate to ugly in my mind.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

Well, I thought I'd wait a bit to post my reply, because I thought I would be standing alone with my opinion. Thankfully I'm not. All these quilts are absolutely charming in their own right. I can see no "ugliness", just lots of hard work and each of them a reflection of fabrics and expression of the times in the lives of the person who created them. The most important thing is they are meant to be and have been loved and used, that is what quilting is all about after all. I love scrappy, and one of the things that inspired my quilt journey is the history behind what I think is an amazing craft. For instance who could look at the quilts of Gees Bend and the stories behind those quilts and not be moved?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Well, I thought I'd wait a bit to post my reply, because I thought I would be standing alone with my opinion. Thankfully I'm not. All these quilts are absolutely charming in their own right. I can see no "ugliness", just lots of hard work and each of them a reflection of fabrics and expression of the times in the lives of the person who created them. The most important thing is they are meant to be and have been loved and used, that is what quilting is all about after all. I love scrappy, and one of the things that inspired my quilt journey is the history behind what I think is an amazing craft. For instance who could look at the quilts of Gees Bend and the stories behind those quilts and not be moved?
Okay! So, I didn't read the whole thread, and had to go back after what you said - - you are absolutely CORRECT! Every one of those quilts are keepers!
I forget where I read it, but one of the quilters said that she made a purple and brown quilt. The idea had been good at the time, she thought, but she hated that quilt.
She took it with a bunch of other quilts (if I remember the story correctly) and a little boy ran up to her and LOVED his new Peanut Butter and Jelly quilt ...!
I have seen it more times than not - - what I am not particularly thrilled with, lots of other people thought were GREAT!
And, I hope I never forget the time I went across the US to visit son's family, while they were waiting for a new baby.
I walked into the house and saw this REALLY NEAT quilt hanging on the wall in their bedroom. Of course, I HAD to walk up and look at it, it was just GORGEOUS! So bright and cheery ... I recognized the pattern and thought "Well! That was well-thought out" ...and, then looked at the quilting and thought ... well, now, that IS interesting.
I turned up a corner of the quilt, thinking ... I really have to find out where she got this quilt ...and realized, when I saw the back ... it was the quilt I had made! for them as a wedding gift:shock: ... I hadn't been particularly impressed with it when I finished it, but after four or five years ... it really was an impressive quilt (until I figured out I had made it - - and, then the thoughts went the other way! LOL) when we make quilts, we are too close to them. And, we are too hard on ourselves, sometimes ... oh, well ... at least we get really good at "trying harder" <wave>