Mouse problem

Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ann Entz
bird seed and cement stir together and when the mice eats the seeds they dry up and there is no stink
I'm all for getting rid of mice and rats ! Even snakes . But wouldn't this mixture kill the birds that eat the seed ?

Have any tips on getting rid of groundhogs ? Annie
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Zephyr
When I was in real estate in Fl. and we had a problem with mice, rats etc. we called pest control. I wish I could remember the name of the product they use to get rid of them. It kills them and they literally dry up and leave no smell etc. You might check with a local pest control.
I can't remember the name of it either, but I know you can buy it at a Feed Store. It's a turquoise-colored bar.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM

The bird seed and cement should be put inside a square wood box that has a small opening for mice or inside a outside building where mice and rats gather. I have used this for several years and never killed any birds or other small animals.
Ann
Old 05-27-2010, 02:26 PM

I have to tell you, I'm concerned about why you're seeing dead mice. My first thought was, that's a sign of plague.

So I hope it's that a neighbor is trying to get rid of them and you're seeing the fallout.

What do the dead mice look like? Do they look like something attacked them? Or unharmed? Or have blood or foam coming out of their mouths, like they were poisoned?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I have a mouse problem also. I purchased a bottle of Peppermint essential oil. I put a few drops of the oil on cotton balls and put them throughout the house. Especially where mice have been sighted. The mice hate peppermint! I love the smell it gives in my home and the mice sightings are non-existent. I reapply the oil once a week.
I've read that Peppermint essential oil works very well at keeping mice away, and there would be no dead mice to dispose of. I think I'll try it, since it would also work as a natural air freshener.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Don't let that pup eat any of them just in case they have been poisoned,. The residual poison can make a dog very very ill.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Google Goddess

we also use the electrical plug ins for house and garage and don't have mice inside (you can buy them at Lowes or Walmart) We have used them for over 20 years.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I just use the regular old wooden mousetrap baited with bacon/cake/peanut paste/chocolate...whichever they seem to prefer (Yes...some like savoury, some like sweet). It is quick and effective and you can modify the trigger by filing it back a little...this makes it snap with the lightest of touches.

They say having these guys (Bobtails) keeps the snakes away...we have many of these who share our garden, this one is very young and was shedding his skin when I took the photo...when grown around a foot long and about 500g. They love slugs, snails, will eat small creatures including young mice and have a passion for strawberries and fallen figs.
I really don't know what I would do if I saw one of these in my yard!! :shock: OMG Don't know if I'd even let the dog out! :lol: :lol:
Old 05-28-2010, 10:02 AM

ctack2, you may be sooo right. When my youngest brotherwas only 5 yrs old he had a yellow tomcat named Paul who slept, ate and played with him. Randy got terribly ill and was hospitalized for 2 weeks . His cheif complaint was "missing Paul". In an effort to placate a sick child my mom told Randy "cat adventure stories " starring Paul.One of the favorite stories told about a "big, huge, enormous rat " Paul would bring Randy as a welcome home present. Sure enough when my Dad carried my scrawny little brother from the car toward the front porch Paul showed up with a rat so big he had to carry his head high and a little to the side, otherwise Paul would have tripped over the rat! Randy was thrilled and I swear Paul smiled at randy!!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:12 AM

I plant mint outside by the window wells (Basement windows) and by my front and back doors. I wasn't kidding when I said I had a mouse problem! We are also getting rid of our wood pile in the back of the house. We were told they harbor mice. I believe someone in your area put poison out and that is why you are finding them dead in your yard. They are searching for water.