Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you make sweet iced tea? >

How do you make sweet iced tea?

How do you make sweet iced tea?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 PM

I use loose tea to make my tea and I sweeten each glass with splenda.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
A friend of mine always has sweet iced tea when we go visit, but I haven't asked her yet how she makes it.

Do you pour boiling water into a large container and then add sugar till it dissolves, then add the tea bags?

Do you put it all into the container together?

Does the container have to be glass or metal?

How much sugar do you add? Ever add Splenda instead of sugar?

What other ingredients do you add?
I buy the "Lipton Cold Brew" tea bags and "Sugar in the Raw" at Walmart. The way I make ice tea is I boil a small amount of water in a sauce pan and add 6 tablespoons of the sugar. Once the sugar is disolved, I add it to a 2-Qt hard plastic pitcher and fill the rest w/cold water, then I let it sit for a few minutes w/2 tea bags. Enjoy a refreshing glass of ice tea. Mmmmm
Old 06-19-2010, 02:59 PM

I PUT A PINCH OF BAKING SODA IN MINE & IT HELPS GET RID OF SOME OF THAT BITTER TASTE. GOTTA LOVE THAT BAKING SODA!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Google Goddess

I love sweet tea!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM

I pour boiling water over 3-4 tea bags with a cup of sugar. I leave it for a few minutes then stir and leave it awhile longer. I then fill the rest of the 2qt pitcher up with cold water.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by amazon
For the best sweet iced tea! This makes a gallon.Bring a pint of water to almost the boiling point( bubbles are rising, water is starting to churn) TURN OFF THE HEAT! Do not let it boil. Drop in eight/ten tea bags(reg. size) or 3 family sized, cover and steep about 10 to 15 min.To your gallon pitcher(plastic or glass) add your brewed tea; then:
really sweet -1 1/2 c. sugar.
sweet-1c.
just so sweet- 1/2c.
(I make 2 gal. at a time, DH is diabetic, his is unsweetened We have just been turned on to Agave Nectar also, he just sweetens at the table, ours 2/3 c. sugar but I'm just starting to blend w/agave, the kids haven't noticed yet!)
Run water into your tea pot w/ the bags , dumping into tea pitcher until tea bags run clear or tea pitcher is full. Wahla! the Best sweet southern tea you ever had. A lot of folks use lemon, I do sometime, but we have found another great zing, put a squeeze of fresh orange,it's to die for! Enjoy!
I make it this way, too! I love fresh lemon, lime or orange in tea!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM

I recall my first experience with Sweet tea. OMG it had so much sugar in it as to be nearly syrupy. I grew up drinking unsweetened tea. My new in-laws looked at me like I had an extra head when I asked for water rather than sweet tea. ROFL I married a native Texas boy, he thought I was weird too. lol We're still married 32 years later.(I'm still drinking unsweetened tea).
Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
tmw

be careful when you leave your glass jug outside to brew, it can go bad, don't tighten the lid as tight as it will go.I know this for a fact, some resturants leave their tea sit our to cold brew and it can spoil.!!!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
tmw

i boil the water in a stainless steel pan, take it off the heat put the bags in and let it sit about 5 minutes, then put the sugar in your serving container and add the tea, i use ice cubes to dulite [sp] it just a little and cool it off, i have a frig with a filter, so i do use the filtered water, i'm addicted to Tea. !!!!!1
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by tmw
be careful when you leave your glass jug outside to brew, it can go bad, don't tighten the lid as tight as it will go.I know this for a fact, some resturants leave their tea sit our to cold brew and it can spoil.!!!!!
We had dinner out last week and the iced tea at the restaurant had turned, it was undrinkable. We decided water was better.