Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you make sweet iced tea? >

How do you make sweet iced tea?

How do you make sweet iced tea?

Old 09-14-2010, 04:10 PM

I use a little tea with my sugar. LOL. I stillboil the water, add 5-6 small teabags or two large. Pour it hot overthe sugar and then add water. ANother tip for taking a drink with you on the road.I freeze half a water bottle of tea and when I go, I pour more tea into the bottle. Then the drink is cold and is melts into more tea. That's how I do it. LOL Oh and I use 2 cups of sugar to a gallon pitcher. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Chele, That is just the way my husband makes our sweet ice tea. And it is so gooooooooood.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

We no longer make tea at home. We only go out to eat a few times a year, we order tea then, most always unsweet. I have drank diet soda for about 35-40 yr.s, maybe 3-4 per week. 2 big cups of coffee a day, no sugar, no cream or milk.

When kids were still at home I use make Sun Tea, put water in a gallon jar w/4-5 tea bags, set outside in the sun until as dark as I wanted it, sweetened w/about 1/4 cup sugar,last kid left home 24 yr.s ago.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 AM
tmw

Originally Posted by ProudGranny5
I put water in a pan & bring to a boil & shut it off, then I tie 8 tea bags together & remove the tags. I use a wooden spoon to make sure all the bags are saturated. While it is steeping, I put ice cubes in a gallon pitcher & just a tad (1/4 cup of sugar) IF I even use sugar over the ice.
I add the hot tea over the ice. Stirring while I pour & don't get foam. Of course, I squeeze all the tea out of bags too. I keep adding filtered water till I get a gallon.

NOTE: For all of you that drink sweet tea from McDonald's...they use a gallon of sugar per gallon of tea!!! WAY TOO MUCH! Ask me how I know...know someone who works there.
a gallon of sugar per gallon of tea doesn't sound right.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 AM
tmw

Originally Posted by Minda
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I can't drink sun tea. Sitting in the sun that long turns the tea and turned tea is not good for you. I've been drinking sweet tea all my life. My grandmother and mother made it from loose tea leaves. I make it with tea bags, black tea is our favorite ice tea. I make a gallon of black ice tea every other day and sometimes once a day. We don't drink soda so it it's tea, lemonade or water for cold drinks.

The secret is right water temp, just before boiling but never boiling water. Add 12 regular size tea bags or 4 family size tea bags, to about a quart of hot water, cover and let seep for at least an hour. Remove tea bags and add sugar syrup. ( 1 1/3 cup sugar dissolved in two cups hot water) Add cold tap water to sweet tea mix to make one gallon. Keep in fridge.

I have an instant hot water tap on my sink and the water is the perfect temp for tea or instant coffee. I never knew instant coffee could taste good until I found the perfect water temp. If instant coffee foams it's not the right temp at all and the coffee will taste like instant coffee.
What does "turns the tea" mean? I've never heard of it.
turns the tea, means it goes sour or spoiled, some people don't see how tea can go bad, but it does.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 AM

We really love fresh ice tea. Here's the way I learned to make it from my MIL about 55 years ago:
Boil about a quart of fresh water,
pour it into teapot that has with 4 tea bags in it,
let it steep a few mintues,
put your large utility spoon into a pitcher filled with a tray of ice cubes,
pour hot brewed tea over the ice cubes,
keep large utiltiy spoon in the pitcher while pouring the tea over the ice cubes,
use the utility spoon to add 2 spoonfuls of sugar to the pitcher and stir,
let it cool awhile and then
serve it in a tall glass with ice cubes, adding a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Nowadays I have an ice tea maker and brew it everyday for DH and I, don't add any sugar, we add Sweet and Low when we make ourselves a glass. Always a nice squeeze of a lemon too. I really don't care for Sweet and Low but it does makes the sweetest ice tea. May in Jersey
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Sweet Tea in the south is a natural thing. Boiling tea makes it dark and bitter. My recipe: Put water into tea kettle or pot, bring water to boil add 4 family size tea bags. Remove from heat let steep while cooling. 1/2 gallon pitcher add 1 cup sugar and disolve,(I use hot water) Pour brewed tea, stir and finish filling with water. Place ice in glass and pour tea and enjoy.
Splenda, sweet and low, and etc, I don't like the taste they have. Plus who knows what they contain.
I don't make sweet tea anymore, but this is how it was done growing up. Now I try to keep all my beverages calorie-free. My Gran always said not to boil the tea.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 AM

Me being born and raised in the south, I like sweet tea, but many peoples idea of sweet tea is WAY to sweet for my taste! I don't drink tea in restraunts for this reason.

I make tea most every day and tho I used to use an old on the stove metal coffee pot (hard to find now adays) I now use a separate drip coffee maker, used only for tea. I use 4 regular size tea bags, let steep 15-20 minutes, pour into a gallon pitcher with ONE cup of sugar. Any more and it's too sweet. Add water to fill. It makes a nice dark tea, can't see thru it and it suits me to a *T*. Been making it this way for 50+ years. Same way my momma made it. (Another true blue southerner! Suits me and DH. Most all my friends say it's the best tea they've ever had.