Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine won't stop sewing >

machine won't stop sewing

machine won't stop sewing

Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Hi, I had the same problem and apparently it is something electronic in the foot pedal. A new replacement foot pedal in Oz is $149.00 and the sad thing is they are made in Thailand and probably cost Janome $5.00 to buy.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:06 PM

hmmm, wonder if the foot pedals are made by Toyota...?
:o)
Old 06-22-2010, 04:13 PM

I had opposite situation, the machine moved very slowly and the repair shop opened the foot pedal and did something. No charge. It's been fine ever since. Hope you have the same lck.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Hey, I went to the dealer this afternoon and they didn't even pretend not to know that the Janome foot pedals have issues! So this is an issue with the foot pedals themselves. I'm getting a free replacement, no problems there, but what if the same thing happens again?

Some here suggested to make sure the pedal doesn't have lint or something stuck in it or butts against something under the table. Both isn't the case, the pedal is clean and there's nothing under the table that it could touch. But the dealer's reaction proves to me that this issue is known to Janome. What a shame that they don't take care of that.

Thank you for all your input, this forum is just the greatest!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 PM

I have an old Singer (about 25-30 years old) that I still sew on occasionally and it does that also. I took it to a repair shop and they adjusted a little "thingie" on the bottom which helped but it still does it sometimes. The repairman said I'll probably have to buy a new foot pedal. Not too bad for a machine that's never had anything but cleanings done to it so I'm not complaining--just passing along info.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
I doubt all three (or more) of us have stuff stuck in our foot control. It's obviously a common problem. It's an intermittent problem that comes and goes in my case. You just never know when it will happen. The machine will sew out of control until you turn it off manually. It's actually kind of scary. It goes on its own at full speed! Not fun when you're trying to quilt something.
it has happened to me with the Janome Jem Platinum. a few times. but i have had it about 5 years now, and hasn't done it in a long time. take it back and tell them what it is doing.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

No but don't hold on to it for too long before you get it off to the dealer.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM

My old Pfaff did that after it was about 15 years old. I'd take it in and the service guy would "clean" the foot pedal. Then it worked for about a year or so. The last time - he cleaned it and I brought it home. Started to sew and it did it again. Took machine back - got a new foot pedal (standard). Machine did it again. Went back - bought 2 yr old Janome 4800. They didn't want my machine for trade so I took it home believing it was a failed "resistor". Finally after 7 years - couldn't bear to part with my old faithful - I found a repairman who worked on the old Pfaffs.
I'd been told that it might be hundreds of dollar to fix th problem. $38 later IT'S PERFECT! He put the old foot pedal back on - the new one was too light power-wise - cleaned and tuned up all moving parts - and was told it was set for another 30 years. Seems the wiring was loose.
Colour me HAPPY:)
I'm suppposed to send it out west to my daughter for her to use till she can afford a new machine - but I'm not sure I can bear to part with it. Think it would be perfect for quilting with the dual feed and heavy duty .... sigh
Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM

I have the dc2007 and love it! Haven't had this problem. If it is a widespread problem with the 2010, I would hope that Janome and their dealers would come out with a "fix" that wouldn't cost you anything.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Very funny Marsye - maybe a pilot ghost from one of the wars!!! :lol: