Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where can I buy "very lightweight" printing paper? >

Where can I buy "very lightweight" printing paper?

Where can I buy "very lightweight" printing paper?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Nzm

you can get Carol Doak's 100 sheet pack at some of the Joann stores.. nice to be able to use the coupons.. i havent done paper piecing yet, but am anxious to start and am assembling all "the tools"
Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM

I just use regular printer paper - 20 lb. weight.
If you're concerned with removing the paper, shorten your stitch length to less than 2.0 which will help. Tip I found was to spritz the paper with water and it comes out quite easily.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM

I buy pads of tracing paper, and they go right through my computer printer. It's light and tears really easily.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 PM

We seem to get a new yellow page directory about every month. Some are smaller than the standard Bell Yellow pages so I use them to paper piece with. They are the perfect size for my projects. I've been warned about ink transfer, but so far no problem, and the paper is always against the back of the fabric.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
Oooh! That's great to know - about the newsprint.
I don't see me cutting it down that's for sure - it isn't worth the time although I do have a paper cutter.....

I have a few different paper pieced projects that are on my before the end of the year to do list. We don't have a Dick Blick here but maybe I can score a pad of it at Hobby Lobby - or just cut down one of the newspaper stubs... we'll see.

The last time I did pp I used regular recycled copy paper and had no problems ripping it at all but I would prefer to use the *right* stuff lol - newsprint works for me.
if you go to a uhaul place, they will have unprinted newsprint to use for packing paper... it is the size of regular newspapers, but i have been known to cut it up...

i always have it on hand...great for the grandkids to color on, or to make patterns with
Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
Vellum is more like a clear thin plastic it isn't a paper. The vellum is seporated by thin paper to keep it from being scratched. I used vellum years ago when I was working for a silk screening company.
my mom recently decided she wasn't going to be scrapbooking anymore, and gave me several pkgs of white vellum... i like it, tears pretty easy, and it was FREE!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 PM

I use the vellum paper for smaller projects (it's $6 a 50 sheet pad here in SD), and find it at office max, in the drafting section. They also have it as letterhead but it cost 3 times as much. (I never thought to check like Walmart or someplace like that for it)
I also use the newsprint and we have a parent teacher outlet that sells it in reams I believe was 3.00-6.00. for 500 sheets. When I had the 8 1/2 x 11 newsprint I could even take it to the local USPS store and they would print me off copies, when I would be doing a bigger quilt and needed lots of copies. The last time I picked some up I ended up with the slightly bigger size and it was lighter and had to trim to run thru my computer and then it was too light to run thru USPS's copiers. I have also used computer paper and it works but my favorite is the Vellum so crisp and easy to tear away, then 2nd would be newsprit, then computer paper.
My Avatar was a paperpieced Karen Stone pattern that I did with the newsprint paper.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I use regular copy paper , bigger needle and smaller stitches .

I also have some Vellum paper that WalMart had on clearance :thumbup:
I will be checking our Walmart, Thanks I never thought of looking for it there.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626
I just use regular printer paper - 20 lb. weight.
If you're concerned with removing the paper, shorten your stitch length to less than 2.0 which will help. Tip I found was to spritz the paper with water and it comes out quite easily.
Be careful with this, I tried and it smears the ink and it runs if you get too much.There's a fine line between enough and too much.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

If you aren't going to print with a printer then buy the delicatessen papers at Sam's or Cosco. It comes in a package of 2 boxes, 500 of 12 x 10 3/4 sheets in each box. Buy with a friend and half the cost. For the printer I use lightweight vellum, not scrapbooking vellum. There are many online paper suppliers that have it cheap.