Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecer? or Finisher? >

Piecer? or Finisher?

Piecer? or Finisher?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:40 AM
JS

I like to do the rest of the quilt.After the top is put together I enjoy finishing the quilt.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 AM

Have any of you checked out'Homemade Quilting Table' in the picture section yesterday? It's really a great idea and she shows several photos. I'm seriously thinking about having this done. I could put this together myself--I just need someone to cut the wood.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:54 AM

I love to piece. Especially "Cut it up, sew it together, and see what happrns". No pattern, just winging it. I just discovered paper piecing, and much to my surprise, I am fascinated and enjoying it. BUT, I find no creative satisfaction in finishing. BUT, I love doing the binding. Ah well, there is nothing wrong in being a little eccentric!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

My sis stopped quilting because she doesn't like to quilt them. She loves to piece them. I love piecing and quilting. We need to get together. She can piece and I can quilt and we both would be happy. When I got my frame I couldn't believe the number of people at the hospital that wanted me to quilt their tops. I am afraid if I start quilting for money I won't enjoy it anymore. Sigh.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I prefer all aspects of the piecing process and then she rests. (Meaning I am hard pressed to finish) But then I've known for a long time that I am a "process person" not a "product person"
Old 07-04-2010, 08:54 AM

That's me. Putting them together and quilting is a chore. I have 2 that are sandwiched WIPs, but I always take time away from those to make new tops ... for me, THAT's where the fun is. So, I have a number of tops stored away awaiting the next steps. Unless I have some motivating reason, I'm very slow to complete quilts. Since it's only a hobby, it doesn't bother me, though.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlin
I love both but the part I really hate is layering them. I do quilt on my regular sewing machine (Bernina 180) any size. Sometimes, like now, I am so overwhelmed with the number of quilts that are ready to be quilted that I just have to quilt a few of them.
I don't like the layering either. I have to do it on the floor and I'm getting too old to be crawling around.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:45 AM

I'm a piecer for sure. That's why I have bags and bags of UFO's that I'm working on finishing.

I don't do the quilting, I give the top to my best friend and she does them on her long arm.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:51 AM

I have a feeling that this has always been so. Do you ever check out ebay and see all the vintage quilt tops for sale?Apparently a lot of people liked to piece but never got around to quilting them together.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 AM

I am so new to quilting I don't know which I will be finally. I suspect a piecer like my mom. She always loved the fabric shopping and putting together the blocks. I was often her sounding board and design assistant when she began to put the top together. Although I have sewn all my life, I am just learning to quilt. When my mom passed away she left behind at least a dozen projects in various stages of completion. I hope to at least get the tops together and then find someone to quilt them, my father wants to see them complete and then passed on to me and my siblings.