Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing Sewing Machine Needles >

Changing Sewing Machine Needles

Changing Sewing Machine Needles

Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM

I too have changed to the titanium needles. They maintain their sharpness a whole lot longer.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I buy my needles at half off, so I get 10 needles for 5.99. the tension on your machine is better with a needle that is not dull, or bent.
Try Organ Needles they are flat shank stlye, and 10 sell for $2.49 at www.Singertexas.com

:thumbup:
Old 07-10-2010, 05:49 PM

If they're Singer needles, they should not be used for other machines. Singer needles fit ONLY Singer machines - they are a different length.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
If they're Singer needles, they should not be used for other machines. Singer needles fit ONLY Singer machines - they are a different length.
Sorry, but Singer needles are not a different length than any other brand of needles.
Here is a place to read about this myth http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...edling-me.html
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by oldhag
Sorry, but Singer needles are not a different length than any other brand of needles.
Here is a place to read about this myth http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...edling-me.html

When I was selling sewing machines I did my own test with needles to see what was going on..... there are differences (or at least were with the needles I tested.)
I used same size Singer and Schmetz needles. The Singers were a tiny bit longer.... not a lot.
But the biggest difference was in the size of the "bump" under the scarf on the back of the needle. The Singer needle had a much larger "bump" than the Schmetz.
And when a customer came in with a machine that was sewing for about 6" then jamming with the needle stuck down the reason was she had a Singer needle in it. The speed of the needle going through the fabric causes friction, friction causes heat, heat causes expansion of metal. Enough expansion that the Singer needle, with the much larger "bump" would get stuck in the bobbin/shuttle assembly.
Singer needles were/are manufactured to different specs than the Schmetz/Organ needles. They are made specifically for Singer machines and there are differences. Even Singer Shops will tell you that. (I teach at one....)
Organ needles, on the other hand, are often provided with new top brand machines, as are Schmetz. In some areas it is much more difficult to find Organ needles, and in this area at least they are about the same price as Schmetz when you do find them.

BTW, Dritz needles are not worth buying. They may look the same but they are molded not machined. (which means they may have teeny, tiny, microscopic air bubbles which weaken the needles. That equals a much higher failure (breakage) rate. )

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pati- in Phx
Originally Posted by oldhag

When I was selling sewing machines I did my own test with needles to see what was going on..... there are differences (or at least were with the needles I tested.)
I used same size Singer and Schmetz needles. The Singers were a tiny bit longer.... not a lot.
But the biggest difference was in the size of the "bump" under the scarf on the back of the needle. The Singer needle had a much larger "bump" than the Schmetz.
And when a customer came in with a machine that was sewing for about 6" then jamming with the needle stuck down the reason was she had a Singer needle in it. The speed of the needle going through the fabric causes friction, friction causes heat, heat causes expansion of metal. Enough expansion that the Singer needle, with the much larger "bump" would get stuck in the bobbin/shuttle assembly.
Singer needles were/are manufactured to different specs than the Schmetz/Organ needles. They are made specifically for Singer machines and there are differences. Even Singer Shops will tell you that. (I teach at one....)
Organ needles, on the other hand, are often provided with new top brand machines, as are Schmetz. In some areas it is much more difficult to find Organ needles, and in this area at least they are about the same price as Schmetz when you do find them.

BTW, Dritz needles are not worth buying. They may look the same but they are molded not machined. (which means they may have teeny, tiny, microscopic air bubbles which weaken the needles. That equals a much higher failure (breakage) rate. )

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx
Pati - thx for the info. I knew something was different about the Singer needles, because they made a mess when I used them in my 1st computerized Viking years ago. Someone - I don't remember who - told me it was the length of the needle - so I started using Schmetz needles. When I switched to Pfaff, I just assumed that I shouldn't use Singer needles, & I continued using Schmetz.

It sounds like Vintage Singer machines need the Vintage Singer needles, and newer Singers can use the new Singer needles. I haven't tried either Organ or Dritz, but I'll try Organ if the price is right LOL!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 AM
np3
Power Poster

I don't change them as often as I should, but I always buy Schmetz. I change them when I notice my stitches changing.