This year's flowers

Old 07-24-2010, 07:33 AM

OH MY GOODNESS...amazingly beautiful. How much time does it take to tend to all of that ? I see you have alot of the same plants we can grow here in southern ut but nothing I have looks that good. Does hubby want to share any secrets? I have a problem with heat/wind in the summer time. I was born & raised in calif. & ran a very successful plant service business for 17 yrs. so i am totally not used to having plants look so sad. How does he get them to look so nice & big?
I just kept going back and looking at all the amazing pictures.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
How beautiful! So inviting!

I love flowers and am so disappointed because I went away for a week and lost almost all of mine.

Thank you for sharing! They are beautiful!
I have the same problem here, I do have a friend that comes over to check on the pets when I have to be away but he knows nothing about plants so they either are over or under watered and that just stresses out the plants. I spend so money on plants last yr , I refrained this yr...bought flowered fabric instead but I sure miss all my flowers out in my yard...course having a puppy is no help..lol
Old 07-24-2010, 09:47 AM

Well he spends about 4 hours daily watering and deadheading and feeding. Using a good feed is essential and they are done every 7 days. We cannot go away while all the flowers are out - it's a bit different asking someone to look after a few pot plants, but just imagine saying can you come and water our 200+ baskets and containers EVERY day (and it is metered water here). In fact even a day out has to be planned with the weather forecast for a dull or rainy day because of the flowers!
We have to site alot of the flowers in full or partial shade, because otherwise they would just give up. And there are periods in July and August when we have to water twice a day.
We are restricted like this from the sowing of seeds in late Feb/early March, because of course then we are having to watch temperatures for greenhouse heating. We are normally using heat overnight in the greenhouses until late April, and it is not exceptional to still have to heat during the day in March some years.
We take the trays out of the greenhouse daily from early May for about 4 weeks to acclimatise them, but they all go back in for night time.

But plants are his passion, quilting is mine, so musn't complain!

When we first came to France 20 years ago, for a few years we cultivated and sold the big exotic trailing fuchsias and had about 200 varieties. It was very successful but of course with taking cuttings ourselves, it was an 11 month job. We stopped about 11 years ago, only because it was taking us over, instead of just being a paying hobby.
I used to grow and sell annual plants too, but after we got the 3rd greenhouse we decided - enough!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 AM

Holy Cow!!! That's so beautiful. Do you work all day long gardening? If you don't have a garden center/nursery...you need to start one!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Beautiful and l lots of work.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Stunning.......:-)
Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Your flowers are so very beautiful!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:15 PM

How pretty. Bet the honey bees & humming birds have taken over the place. I have never seen some of the blue flowers before. Very unique. Man has a green hand instead of thumb. He would be called a master gardener in Texas.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Delightful again this year. Thank you so much.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Those are absolutely fantastic. That's the prettiest display
I've EVER seen, and I've toured lots of commercial nurseries
and seen lots of fairs with masses of lovely blooms. This does
take the blue ribbon for this show. And I come from a nursery
family!!

What a marvelous job your husband did. Give him our thanks
for making his part of the world more lovely.