Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Something new >

Something new

Something new

Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
my aim is so lousy a hammer wouldn't do me any good. everything would be flat except the points and intersections. :lol:
For $29.95 + S&H :wink: I will sell you a metal thumb guard and hammer guide :lol::lol::lol:
Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Sounds like a version of a tailor's seam clapper. Wooden pressing sticks are also useful for narrow seams. Both of these items have been around the garment sewing industry for a long time.
The intent of the clapper/mallet/hand-twist is to loosen the thread weave at a seam. As noted in several of the replies, gentle steam helps. Of course, one should never pound hard enough to damage the fabric threads or the seam thread.

For the seriously cheap, take a 5-6 inch piece of 2x4, sand it well, and use the narrow side for your clapper. Handle is optional, although recommended if you do this a lot.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 PM

I saw this on one of the quilting shows that I watch. Later it did come in handy, kinda. I was making a pinwheel quilt and I used a hammer to flatten down the center. But to buy one. No Way!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 PM

I can just see my husband running in to see and the puzzled look on his face as to whether I was loosing it or what !!! :-)
Old 07-28-2010, 01:17 PM

No, but I did buy a seam roller @ the Knoxville Show and I love it. Priced at 10 dollars
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM

If my husband saw me pounding on a quilt he'd say "now honey, don't you think it's time you took a little break and had a drink?"
Old 07-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Where, how, why would you use a hammer? or other pounding device?
I have had to pound some of my clients' multiple seams into something less of a lump. When I am quilting and hit one, it can deflect the needle and cause a lousy stitch. I use a plastic mallet meant for pounding out dents in your car - it was free! Of course, it would be easier if those pinwheel and star seams were pressed open...
Old 07-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Can't you see our grandmothers, great grand mothers etc, just looking down and laughing at us and thinksing we used scraps of clothing that was worn out and a needle, thread and a thimble. LOL
Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 PM

I learned that at LQS many years ago but with a regular small hammer. I keep that and a small wooden cutting board right near the sewing machine. It really works and I use the technique often but very gently.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by quilter41
Have any of you seen the wooden mallets that they are selling to hit your joining points with. I saw them a a quilt show. No I didn't get sucked in. They were $10 and I thought DH might have a better idea. It seemed to work for the people demonstrating it, but I still was in doubt. DH said to go to Lowe's and buy a white rubber mallet and it would work for this purpose. I looked at Lowe's and they were out of them, but only $4.97.
Wasn't reading this very closely and I thought you were refering to pounding your body joints (knees, elbows, etc) ! LOL I have got to get some sleep!
Seriously, my family has called me 3 times in the last week in the middle of the night to go to the hospital. I think I'm getting slap happy. Definitely not getting any sewing done!