Oh no!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 PM

when we are going anywhere for over a week, i pack our stuff, go to ups & send it 2nd day...guaranteed. right to the hotel.. . costs less than the bag fee... send it back (usually heavier) the same way... just immediate chg of clothes in the carry on...works so far!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by Jude
Did anyone else see yesterday's news piece regarding people balking at additional charges for checking baggage on airlines?
So, here's this MAN outisde an airline terminal (AA I think, but don't know what city) throwing away items from his suitcase in order to hone it all down to "carry-on" status. When I saw the quilt go into the trash bin I almost jumped thru the TV screen. It looked new, I saw pink among multi-colored squares which were tied in their middles. OK, so maybe not "quilted", but pieced, and someone had done a lot of work! Probably more than one person in need of anger management by now; wonder if the dude is still alive! Maybe we need to go dumpster diving in front of airline terminals these days, gals and guys.
I saw that and reacted the same way, I yelled out NOT THE QUILT, my dh thought it was funny until he realized it was really a quilt being thrown away. What a waste, I hope the person that made it did not see the clip.

MNM
Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
Originally Posted by Pinkiris
Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville told of a Japanese quilt teacher that was told at "Customs" in Canada that she had to write "Sample" in permanent marker across the face of quilts that she was bringing into the country!!! I guess that the teacher DID it!
Bonnie cancelled a quilt class that she was scheduled to teach in Canada in 2012 because she was afraid that the same thing would happen to her.

What is with these regulations? How much "terrorism" is in quilt tops???

Did that really happen? Why would she have to do that? What regulation would there be for that? It does not make sense, considering quilting and works of art get shipped worldwide nowadays.

Sue
To clarify what Customs is concerned about in this instance, they are (both sides) afraid the quilts will be sold and the appropriate excise fees not paid to the respective government. I buy yarn from Canada that always shipped as an ordinary purchase, but now they want to know if it's shipping for business use, because there are tariffs to be paid. If you travel across a border and say you're there on "business" and you are bringing your goods in with you, they only allow it if they are samples. Not saying I agree, just wanted to clear up that it has nothing to do with terrorism, it's always been that way.