Oh no!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:23 PM

I seen that on TV and felt sick when he threw that quilt away. It looked like it was a very pretty quilt too.
Hope it wasn't a gift for someone!!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it make sense that if you are flying, the airlines should expect that you will be bringing luggage with you!!?? Why in the world are you charged extra for luggage??!! YOU'RE TRAVELING!!!! Luggage is part of traveling! I've never met anyone yet who is going on a flight that doesn't take clean undies and a toothbrush with them!! Do they expect passengers to wear every item of clothing they are bringing so they won't be charged for their suitcase? Then everyone would have to pay extra for taking up too much seat room for being too "fat" because of the multiple layers of clothing!! Charge for excessive numbers of bags, but good grief let us bring some luggage as part of the ticket price!! :roll:
I just read where Spirit Airlines is now charging for carry on.
:evil: :thumbdown: I get constant ads for "bargain" fares but find that once you add the charges for baggage, etc. the most cost effective is Southwest. They're the only airline I bother with anymore. In 35 years of flying I have had many issues with many airlines while only one problem with Southwest and they made it right asap.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Since they started charging for checking luggage, many more passengers carry on than used to. So of course it won't all fit in the overhead compartments. Usually they will make you hand over larger bags at the end of the jetway but they don't charge for it. I used to check because it was easier than hauling it around especially when I have a connection but now only check when I will be gone a week or more and have to take more stuff.

I agree about these fees. Charge a higher price for the ticket and stop nickel and diming us.
I've noticed now that people are taking more luggage on board than "allowed." You are allowed one carry-on and a purse. I've seen people coming on with carry-on, backpack, purse and shopping bag full of something. No wonder there's no room in overhead anymore. If they're going to charge us to check our luggage, then they should also stop people who bring more on board than allowed!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Banned

That is so sad, It was most likely a gift for someone. God bless.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM

You should have grabbed it!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Wow throwing out a quilt. THAT STINKS FOR SURE wish I was behind him.
This is why I fly Southwest Airlines you can check 2 bags free and carry on 1 personal and 1 carryon.
No wonder they are the only airline that is making money.
You can get your boarding pass 24 hours ahead on line and you are all set.
Also from San Jose,Ca. and Denver,Co it is $79.00 each way to the ROAD 2 CALIFORNIA Big quilt show January 2011 in Ontario,Ca. Guess who is going for the first time?? and very excited to say the least. Signed up a month ago for classes and alot are already sold out. Daughter and I are going and we got a class with E. Burns so excited we can hardly wait I already have all my supplys packed for the classes. kjym Kathy
Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville told of a Japanese quilt teacher that was told at "Customs" in Canada that she had to write "Sample" in permanent marker across the face of quilts that she was bringing into the country!!! I guess that the teacher DID it!
Bonnie cancelled a quilt class that she was scheduled to teach in Canada in 2012 because she was afraid that the same thing would happen to her.

What is with these regulations? How much "terrorism" is in quilt tops???

Sue
No room for warm terrorists in this country! Follow the rules! Comrad!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 PM
MCH

My DH, believing he was helping me to be more efficient and removing the hassle of a fold-up luggage cart, bought me a large roller bag from Land's End. That bag is large enough for a full-grown German shepherd dog to use as a bed! I knew it was too big and would be too heavy.

You see, he was also tired of having to corral my multiple bags and hoped that I would get everything in the one large bag.

Yep, I did. Got to the check-in counter and sure enough, it was WAAAAAAY over the weight limit. Big bucks on the outbound. Of course we had the same charge for the bag on the return trip.

Same story on a subsequent trip. I would have gone back to the previous luggage arrangement, but you how husbands get when they think they've done a great thing to help...and you're not appropriately appreciative. Ahem.

After paying big bucks on the second trip, he was having second thoughts about efficiency vs cost.

So, he bought me the next size smaller bag...

Same story as with the first. Now, I was beginning to get irked, too.

We made 3 trips from CA to Illinois and Wisconsin between Feb. '09 and Jan. '10 for funerals -- my mother, MIL, and sister. Obviously, I needed a variety of outfits and shoes. We made another trip for my BIL's funeral in Illinois in May, '10, and stayed for 9 days. Same suitcase, same charges.

FINALLY, the light bulb went on. I weighed the empty suitcase, the smaller of the two. You know what I discovered? The smaller of the 2 suitcases weighs 14 pounds, EMPTY! With a 50 pound limit, I can pack 36 pounds of stuff in that suitcase. Do you know how fast clothes and shoes can add up to 36 pounds?!

My husband has had second thoughts about efficiency. "Maybe you should go back to the big soft-sided suitcase." He really didn't like using the luggage cart for that bag...

We're flying to Wisconsin for my nephew's wedding on Labor Day week-end. I can't wait for my husband to ask me which bag I'm going to use. "FexEx ground".

Oh...and he just bought himself a bag like my smaller one.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 PM

I agree with everyone who said fly Southwest. I go SW whenever I can - they are a pleasure to fly with. And not just because they don't charge for bags.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jude
Did anyone else see yesterday's news piece regarding people balking at additional charges for checking baggage on airlines?
So, here's this MAN outisde an airline terminal (AA I think, but don't know what city) throwing away items from his suitcase in order to hone it all down to "carry-on" status. When I saw the quilt go into the trash bin I almost jumped thru the TV screen. It looked new, I saw pink among multi-colored squares which were tied in their middles. OK, so maybe not "quilted", but pieced, and someone had done a lot of work! Probably more than one person in need of anger management by now; wonder if the dude is still alive! Maybe we need to go dumpster diving in front of airline terminals these days, gals and guys.
Yes, I saw that news story also. All I could think of was: what is he thinking????