Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What it really costs to make a quilt >

What it really costs to make a quilt

What it really costs to make a quilt

Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
PS - DH makes quilts with very small pieces. Only sold a couple. We were at a craft fair once and he had one , did not put a price on it. If any one was interested, he said, make an offer.(just to see what people would say.)
One lady offered $20. He said, you should know there are about 400 hours of work in this quilt. She thought about that a second, then said, How about $25?
Amazing!
You have to be blind not to see the hours of work going into a quilt. (Maybe not if you don't know how to sew.)

In favor of the Chinese "crap" quilts I like to say this:

I bought a quilt at Walmart. It was made in China. It was all in natural/very soft yellow/gold hues. The quilt was beautiful.
I only paid about US$ 80.00 for it.

Now after three washes (by hand) part of the quilt starts unraveling. I wished somebody had paid that Chinese artist some decent wages. I wished I could tell this artist "I am sorry Western companies take advantage of your need to eat. I am sorry nobody tells you how beautiful your design really is."

Adding a decent wage for the Chinese quilter to the price of the quilt would not have kept me from buying that quilt.

I will repair it so that I can appreciate it a little longer.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Here is a link to Bryerpatch's site with pricing thoughts.
http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/marketing.htm

piney
Old 09-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Katiebear, I understand. I just started quilting almost a year ago. I now have half the world of people I know wanting quilts. I am unemployed, so I wanted to try to sell a few lap quilts just to make money back on my materials. So, I made a copy of one of my receipts from my latest quilt store and gave it to them. No more requests!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:40 PM

My Pfaff ran me about 700.00 a couple of years ago
Old 09-04-2010, 03:58 PM

I guess that is why they call it a hobby. We could not afford to make a living doing this. Sometimes just making a purse (large one) can run about $50 for pattern and material. Material prices have really increased this year.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:26 PM

This is interesting, but we all know this, we just wish the rest of the world would at least appreciate what we do and love.
I was trying out a new diva purse pattern and have spent 3-4 days working on it. I used all my discount coupons to buy fabric and batting, but still have over $35 in it. The most frustrating thing for me is I just realized I attached the wrong ends, need to un-sew and try agin which will be another 5+ hours to finish. Only blog members will give me the kodo's to make another.
Does that mean this blog is a conspiracy sponsored by LQS? (That was a Joke in case you missed my humor)
Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Wow That reallly is an eye opener.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:30 PM

I am also a stained glass hobbyist. I started while in Iceland on active duty in the Navy. The garage is full of those materials. I then embarked on card making. And, believe me, I understand what it costs for hobbies. I am also to the point that I only give my cards to fellow crafters because they appreciate the time and effort put into creating.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:56 PM

Sales, Sales, Sales! Now that I am retired with a very good pension I can indulge in making pretties for my family and charity. Most of us do it for the love of quilting like any skilled craft making project. :>)
Old 09-04-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by auntmag
People just don't understand that we don't make quilts from old clothing anymore. Quilting is NOT a cheap hobby.
LOL... well, some of us still do!!! Hugs and smilesss!!!