Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the quilt label??? >

the quilt label???

the quilt label???

Old 10-23-2010, 02:54 AM

Great Idea!!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:09 AM
Banned

Sometime quilt shows will require the label to be put in a certain place. I heard this funny one last week at retreat.

You should always label your quilts because if you give one to a son or daughter and don't label it, then when you are "gone" the mother in law may take credit.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:38 AM

On the quilts I am making for my grands I am embroidering their name of the bottom border of the quilt with my sewing machine. There is no way anyone is going to remove this. Too many stitches and you take out 1 stitch at a time. On the greats quilts I have added their name on the front of the quilt in some unique way.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:50 PM

I like the idea of using the ink jet printer because you can write so much more, I also like the idea of leterally signing your name with the pigma pen, so personal

I did an I Spy quilt for my grandson and used some of the fabric packs for ink jet printers for family pictures. When I washed it some faded but others were still perfect. Since I used several different brands I will never know which ones faded. So I will test before I do it again.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:58 PM

I too use my ink jet printer to make my labels. I iron a piece of very good muslin to freezer paper. I include who it is for and from, who pieced it and who quilted it, the city where they live and where I live, the date, the name of the quilt if any, and the occasion for the giving. I often include a small little graphic pic like a heart or teddy bear. I place the label on the back lower right corner and sew it down right in the corner. The binding trims it out on two sides and I needle-turn the other 2 sides. If I am machine quilting the quilt, I may place the label somewhere on the back first with wonder-under and let the machine stitches catch the label.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:58 PM

I have also heard of using a fabric friendly pen and writing information in the selvage of the quilt BEFORE you put the binding on. This way if your quilt is ever stolen, it is one "hidden" identifying mark.
Of course you should always put a label on your quilt.
And you should keep a journal of your quilts with a picture and any information that you might have.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM

One of my friends does hers on the computer and prints it out on fabric. She has done several landscape quilts and she puts the inspiration photograph on the label also. Very impressive. I have not gotten past signing the back with the date.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:50 PM

I make my labels on my printer. I use the special fabric that goes through the ink jet printer.
First I compose the label and print it on paper. Then I cut a piece of the fabric about an inch bigger that the label in all directions. I tape it over the printout with scotch tape. Then I run the same piece of paper through the printer again. Let it dry for 15 min, then rinse in running cool water and let dry.
Once it's dry, I make a small square of the fabrics in the quilt and bind it with extra binding. I attach the label on that with a hand stitch.
Then I attach it to the bottom right corner of the back of the quilt.
This way the owner has spare bits and pieces of fabric and binding should they ever have to repair the quilt.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Magdalena
I place my label in the back left hand corner. I think it is a personal choice because I am left-handed.
Duh!!! I'll bet this is why labels are in the lower right hand corner. It's also the place painters put their signature, except for Pablo Picasso. But then he bent a lot of rules.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM

This is an example of one of my quilt labels, it is on a landscape quilt I did for the challenge

label
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112918[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112913.jpe