Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Color Fabric is Hardest To Find? >

What Color Fabric is Hardest To Find?

What Color Fabric is Hardest To Find?

Old 11-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by justme2
After looking in 2-3 places, I can usually find the shade of whatever color I need.
Last wk I was stumped trying to find rose color yardage.The stores have pale pink,hot pink,reddish pink ,a purple pink....but no rose.
Was afraid to trust colors on line & finally bought the 2yds I needed. It's close, but still not the perfect rose. :roll: :roll:
Check and ask at Mary Jo's in Gastonia,Nc. She has a site that you can ask about any color,etc. and they will answer back. They ship too. This place is huge and has everything. It is the place I find anything and everything. Mary Jo is always there too. She has pix too, on her site. It is dangerous for me when I go. You need to see it. ENJOY!!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by zennia
Around here gray is almost impossible to find. needed it 2 different times and couldnt find.
I'm looking for greys too and there just isn't a lot to be found. Lots of black and whites that look grey but not actual greys. Trying to find online is hard. You get blue or green that look grey in the photo.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:03 PM

I wanted to make a quilt with butter yellow for the background of some of the blocks and I couldn't find any at
all! This was in the early 90s when I was a new quilter.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
For awhile I could find a lot of purple, but right now it is hard to find.
Was at Fabric Depot today and the salesclerk told us that purple is the most popular color in Oregon. We decided it must be because we have so many gray days. So, we have all the bolts here! :-)
Old 11-13-2010, 08:37 PM

I have a big stash and yet there are some colors I still need... I like true colors that are deeply saturated.. I had a rust I loved, used it all and now can't seem to find anything even near... Colors do come in and go out depending on the style of the times... I have been going through my deceased MIL's fabric.. oh the browns she has.. which are now coming to my house. a very sad way to round out a stash.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 PM

For my current project it took me forever to find the right shade of grey for my borders.

Usually I have trouble finding something in the right color AND style. For example, there's a few Japanese style prints...something with sprays of cherry blossoms, but I can never seem to find something in black with the pink cherry blossoms. Most stuff I've seen have backgrounds in pink or some sort of pastel. I think when I was working on my Zelda quilted stained glass project (before I lost all the friggin files and now have to start over) I had trouble finding marbled or watercolor fabrics in certain colors. Had even more trouble matching some solids for my Mario quilt (again, before I lost everything for it and have to start all over).
Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 PM

I've been keeping an eye out for a certain green that I haven't seen anywhere but in a pattern (which doesn't say the fabric). It's kind of a 30's type of color, close to a Tiffany Blue, but not that blue, more green.

I really like that color... I also like Tiffany Blue. :lol:
Old 11-13-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by mollymct
Whatever color you really need!! Or that's the case for me.
Exactly!

:?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 AM

Yep.. one more justification to keep that stash full :)
Tones and trends change, but they all come back :)
Good reason to Quilt for years:)

Not long ago went back and bought same fab as what was purchased a couple of weeks earlier and is a completely different color.... had enough to finish that area, and start border in the new shade, looks OK. TG
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Power Poster

Nice bright cherry red....still looking and I guess it will eventually turn up!