Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Unusual Christmas gifts--do you give them? >

Unusual Christmas gifts--do you give them?

Unusual Christmas gifts--do you give them?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:27 PM

My husband has 2 neices, I have 2 neices and 2 teen age granddaughters. I make the neices what I call "silly boxes"
I buy stupid stuff all year long to put in them. Stuff like silly putty, rubber band guns, paddle balls, lots of dollar stuff, wind up toys, Christmas sox, stuff that is cheap and usually pretty much useless. I wrap each piece seperately. Sometimes I put it all in a Santa hat or a sock. For the granddaughters I make them something similar but we call it 12 days of Christmas. So they have at least 12 items. Their stuff included at least one item that they really wanted.
All of the girls love this gift cause they nver have any idea what is in it. DHs neices are in their 30's and my neices are teens.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by fktsewing
my mom passed away in October and so I was not in the mood for Christmas at all, but my boys were coming home from England and I felt guilty---I forced myself to go out shopping and found myself being drawn to toys and games I had as a child. That is when it hit me---I bought each person a toy, games, record albumn,or movie or show or something that was special to them from their childhood. On Christmas eve, they each opened that special present one at a time and went absolutely wild. We talked and reminised all evening long about everyones childhood. 4 years have passed and none of them can remember what else they got that year or in the years since, but they still remember and talk about that "special" gift from childhood.
That is so sweet. My folks are now gone but the next time the family can get together for Christmas I'm going to do what y0u did. Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:50 PM

Great story, keep it going in your mom's memory. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Amazing stories. I loved reading each of them. We just do the stockings for the adult children and gifts to the grand children. I have given my DH the same gift for several years until he would confess that he didn't like the gift instead of always saying he did. Thanks everyone for sharing.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:36 PM

These are neat ideas. I may just try that this year as my kids will all be here but one--He may get a long overdue leave from the Navy.

My family has about 50-60 people. One year we all drew for a basket to fix and someone else would get your basket. We had some unusual ones like a garbage can with a rake, leaf bags, regular bags, and other yard stuff like grass spray; one did a utility baskets with every thing from extension cords, all sizes of batteries, light bulbs in all sizes, etc; One was a movie basket with movies, pop corn, cokes, peanuts, candy etc.; They were all different and we just put on numbers and # one picked. I was like # 4 and I took the towel basket. The one I fixed was gift wrap. I took the biggest gift bag I could find and filled it with gift wrap for all year, bags, ribbons, bows, name tags, cards for all occasions, tape and anything I could think of to make a gift nice.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM

This sounds nice.
Originally Posted by LanaCindy
Our family made lots of homemade kraft items, quilts, booties and then they add in bought items,food, gag gifts. It was all layed out on a table...some wrapped some not. All the adults would roll dice. A 7 or 11 you could pick a gift off the table or you could steal a gift from someone. They in turn could steal it back if they got a 7 or 11. A random time would be set on a time. When the time went off whatever gifts you had were yours to keep.
The kids got to break a pinata and take turns picking off a table of little toys (jax, matchbox cars, candy and such)
I miss it all..
Old 11-26-2010, 04:45 PM

I love this story. My husband and my sister did this with a real ugly pocketbook. It was on a table at a senior citizen auction. Everyone bid a dollar and then a name was dwawn out. She got the pocketbook and threw it away. He got it out and gave it to her for her birthday Nov. 12 and he got it fo rhis Dec. 8 and she got it fo rChristmas. It went on for years. In the mean time the purse got burnt, spotted with something, paint on it and stuff added inside. It was hilarious as they both knew what they were getting. Still this was the first gift they would each open.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM

That is a good idea. None of us have many picturs of dad.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:47 PM

That is a neat idea.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:03 PM

I bet you have a great conversaton pictures though! so funny