Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
gravy survey >

gravy survey

gravy survey

Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 AM

All this talk about gravy got me hungry for some. I made biscuits (frozen- aren't they wonderful) and fried some hot sausage,crumbled it and made gravy over it. Cooked it thick enough that it didn't run off the biscuit. Yummy
Old 12-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I like it thick!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:32 AM

I am a middle of the road kinda girl, I like mine medium. I also think it has to do with the cook :-D
Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 PM

I like to make all beef/pork gravy with cornstarch and water. Only use flour and milk when making fried chicken gravy. My son was married and living away from home before he knew meat loaf was supposed to be sliced and not spooned out of the pan. Does that tell you something about my cooking? Other than that I used to be a pretty good cook but couldn't for the life of me make a slicable meatloaf.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:17 AM

I'm from Illinois and I like mine in the middle. A little thicker than thin but not like biscuits and gravey thick. I think the consistency is a personal thing and really goes back to how your mother/grandmother made it when you were growing up. I think the most important thing about it is the flavor...got to have that or it is just not worth making :)
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
Originally Posted by grammiepamie
I am 65 and still can't make gravy. It is always lumpy and tastes like wall paper paste. And fudge. Good fudge but you have to drink it. I would love to know how to make good gravy so I could quit buying it.
One easy way to make it is to get your pan juices hot and bubbly (in a sauce pan, or in the roasting pan if you prefer). Take a coffee mug and drop a handful of Wondra Flour into it. Add Cold tap water about 3/4 full and stir. Pour this gradually into your pan juices and stir, stir, stir. Cook until it is the thickness you prefer. Then add a splash of Sweet Vermouth to the gravy, along with salt & pepper. Sweet Vermouth enhances many things for me, including spaghetti sauce. The cooking will boil away the alcohol, leaving only the delicious flavor.
Wondra Flour for the win. It really helps in making the gravy thick, and it does not lump up like regular flour.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
Originally Posted by grammiepamie
I am 65 and still can't make gravy. It is always lumpy and tastes like wall paper paste. And fudge. Good fudge but you have to drink it. I would love to know how to make good gravy so I could quit buying it.
One easy way to make it is to get your pan juices hot and bubbly (in a sauce pan, or in the roasting pan if you prefer). Take a coffee mug and drop a handful of Wondra Flour into it. Add Cold tap water about 3/4 full and stir. Pour this gradually into your pan juices and stir, stir, stir. Cook until it is the thickness you prefer. Then add a splash of Sweet Vermouth to the gravy, along with salt & pepper. Sweet Vermouth enhances many things for me, including spaghetti sauce. The cooking will boil away the alcohol, leaving only the delicious flavor.
Wondra Flour for the win. It really helps in making the gravy thick, and it does not lump up like regular flour.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 AM

Medium thick here, use flour to thicken and some Kitchen
Bouquet to darken...when I start to thicken the pan juices
I don't have the heat on, once its all mixed, then I turn on and start adding liquid,.... for turkey I cook the giblets and
save the juice, or use potato water....
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 PM

I love using the potato water too, but I suppose that's not good for us either (sigh).......

Sue
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Am I the only one that does not add flour to water first? I add flour right to the pan drippings and make a paste, then add liquid next.