Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
gravy survey >

gravy survey

gravy survey

Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 PM

I'm true south, mama from Louisiana, papa from Georgia. Our dreaded gravy we called Luther gravy, evidently from my great uncle Luther whose gravy you could stand a fork in. All the women would say "don't let Luther make the gravy!" Ideally we like it medium except for "cream gravy" which goes with everything fried; that is thicker. Secret to good gravy, let it cook long enough to cook the flour, otherwise it tastes like paste! If you get lumps, pour it through a strainer!! Easy!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:07 PM

PS - I only use the mashed potatoes to get the gravy to my mouth!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM

I am from the South, and my gravy is not thin; I make it with cooked thickening. GG
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 PM

Thick is the way we like it.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM

I like mine thick, but not as thick as country gravy.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 PM

I make my gravy on the thicker side.When making turkey gravy( first strain it) I pour the drippings into a large sauce pan.I add water from the turnips, carrots or whatever else I cooked for extra flavor.For a lump free gravy I make a paste (like a shake) with canned chicken broth and flour in a shaker (I use an old "Great Shake" shaker---anyone remember those ?)I add flour and shake until it's a thick pourable.Slowly stirring it into the simmering dripping and adding more until it's the way I like it.Never had lumpy gravy.Mom taught me how to make gravy.Very easy.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 PM

Instead of water, I use Chicken Broth for my gravy. If you have lumps just throw it in the blender for a few seconds. Canned gravy tastes like crap. You cannot beat homemade. or ever try that stuff in the envelope. Ewwwwww, it is really nasty. About as bad as using potatoes from a box. Oops....don't mean to offend anyone. I guess it's what your used to. Bob Evans mashed potatoes aren't so bad.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 PM

When I make gravy I just tear open a packet, add to 1 cup of cold water and boil it a minute. Everyone loves it. Did I mention after at least 55 years of cooking, I still can't make gravy from scratch.

Judy Fry
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
When I make gravy for roast or turkey, I use corn starch to thicken. I drain grease from pan, return any broth to pan. Put a couple heaping tablespoons of corn starch in a cup, add water and stir. Dump in pan, and then I add more liquid as I stir with a whisk. Once it starts bubbling, it gets a pretty clear color and will thicken. I add the liquid until it is the way we like it, medium thickness. For milk gravy, I leave about two or three tablesppons of grease and brown bitys in the pan, stir in a couple heaping spoons of flour, add milk, stir with a whisk,until bubbling, and add small amounts of milk or water to thin it to the right consistency. I think using the whisk is what really cuts down on any lumps, and constant stirring. . I've never had lumpy gravy , and my roast gravy is to die for!!LOL
WOW Carol! Thanks for typing this out and saving me the time to type out the EXACT same methods!!!

My neighbor used to say that my roast gravy was "to live for" 'cause he said he lived to be invited over again for more! LOL
Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 AM

They put gravy in cans????? I am the designated gravy maker in our family. I just watched the "Galloping Gourmet" make it once, and here we are many years later, and I still can't figure out how to make lumpy gravy. Turkey gravy is the best! (I have a sister that makes pies, which I can't, but hers are so flaky and good.)