Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm Burned Out.... >
  • I'm Burned Out....

• I'm Burned Out....

Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM

I have hit the burned out zone many times especially when I have had a deadline to meet or many samples to finish for classes that I was scheduled to teach. What I find very inspiring and recharging is to get in my sewing room and clean, vacume, sort, reorganize and go through my cabinet that has UFO's. I listen to an audio books or my favorite music. By the time I am done, my sewing room sparkles,
    I am inspired with projects I had set aside.

hope this helps
    Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM

I think it is really hard to start on a new project, and a large one at that, this time of year. The "I should's" put guilt up front. I do what has to be done this time of the year then after the Holidays are over and the Blah time kicks in, then is the time for a large project. Then I'm not so rushed. I can enjoy the Holiday season knowing I have something to look forward after the new year.
    Rita
    Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 AM

I am at the same place. I cannot get into any of my projects. I have things cut out but there they sit. This is the first time I have been so pitiful, usually I go to one of the antique malls and see quilts and get moving but not this time. My server was down and I didn't care I couldn't get on here. HELP :XD:
    Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM

I've read this question in various forms several times. I just figure you'll sew when you're ready. It's supposed to be enjoyable. Forcing yourself won't help. There's nothing wrong with taking a break now and then, and it's nothing to worry over. Maybe you're ready for a temporary change of pace. Maybe a different craft will light your fire. For now, go with your heart.
    Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Sometimes you just need a little break. I take that time to straighten up my sewing room & fabrics. Just playing with the fabrics and notions seems to spark and idea get me going again.
    Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 AM

A friend and I started going thru books and decided to make a quilt but, we both made it different. We inspired each other and that got us going again.
    Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 AM

AngelaRose,
    I too, have pre-washed my fabric before quilting. But I also will wash all my quilts before giving them as gifts; to see how they will turn out. I always wash in cold water, using color safe bleach(to make colors POP) and drying for less time then is suggested because commercial dryers always run hotter. I prefer to take it to the laundramat, the washers and dryers are larger.
    CruisingStef
    or Stephanie
    Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Don't stress yourself out. Use this time to reflect on you and your family. This is the time when you can catch up with you and see somethings you didn't notice when you were busy. God bless You!
    Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Well, it seams you are quilted out. You did so many projects before your trip that it's now time to relax. I would hold off making anything right now and just cruise on looking at patterns. Something will trigger you to get back on the quilt wagon, but until that happens relax a little since the holidays can be stressful enough.

I am actually in the same mood (even though I haven't traveled anywhere!). I have a quilt for my daughter that the top isn't complete yet, but I really dont feel like working on it. It was one of those projects I expected to make as a lap and then my one daughter claimed it, and after I started adding fabric, she didn't like the colors. So my younger daughter claimed it and she made comments about the colors too. So for now, no one is getting it until I decide what to do next. I will finish it, but it's not a priority. Holiday is here and I think I will make some table runners in the colors I want.

Take care and enjoy being back home.
    Old 12-09-2010, 01:20 PM

I like the avitar :thumbup: Where do you get things like this.