Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you miss film as apposed to digital camera? >

do you miss film as apposed to digital camera?

do you miss film as apposed to digital camera?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:52 PM

I really love my digital camera. However, I invested quite a bit in my "film" camera and now I am not using it. What in the world do I do with about $1,000 worth of "film" camera equipment? It just sits there and crys. :?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by EllijaysUFOqueen
I really love my digital camera. However, I invested quite a bit in my "film" camera and now I am not using it. What in the world do I do with about $1,000 worth of "film" camera equipment? It just sits there and crys. :?
I guess it depends on what you use for a digital camera. I use my lenses from my 35 mm film camera on my digital SLR body (they are both from the same company). If you have just a point and shoot digital you won't be able to do that.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM

Ummmmm...... maybe a new digital camera to use the lenses from the SLR. The lenses are what I really spent the majority of the money. Thanks for the great tip. It would be worth the investment of a new camera.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Not all camera systems kept their lens mounts universal so make sure you check before you buy. My advice would be to take your lenses with you to make sure the mount is the same. I shoot with Nikon cameras and their lens mount is the same. The manual lenses of course can only be used in the manual mode but that isn't a problem for me.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 PM

I really miss film...I haven't seen a real picture in 5 years. When we moved this year, I told my husband that with all the pictures I hung up, there is not one new one of anybody because they are all on the computer. His computer...could he please print some out sometime??? Yeah right...We have so many from our civil war reenactments that I cannot get to, and no recent pics of anything. I don't have time to look them all up. It is really frustrating because I am not computer literate enough to do it myself. Oh well, I am old too, and I also love the old black and whites.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 PM

I can take hundreds of pictures at one time. Sometimes I'll go "Oooh. This looks interesting!" and it doesn't turn out the way I want it or it wasn't as cool as I thought it would be or I wasn't holding my camera steady and it became blurry or the angle was all wrong or the flash made everything to bright or the lack of flash made everything darker than it really was. Imagine how many rolls worth I'd waste! I usually end up with more wasted shots than good ones I can use. With digital I don't have to wait and see if anything turned out and end up with dozens of useless photos that I'm going to throw away and are going to be in a landfill forever.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I can take hundreds of pictures at one time. Sometimes I'll go "Oooh. This looks interesting!" and it doesn't turn out the way I want it or it wasn't as cool as I thought it would be or I wasn't holding my camera steady and it became blurry or the angle was all wrong or the flash made everything to bright or the lack of flash made everything darker than it really was. Imagine how many rolls worth I'd waste! I usually end up with more wasted shots than good ones I can use. With digital I don't have to wait and see if anything turned out and end up with dozens of useless photos that I'm going to throw away and are going to be in a landfill forever.
Most of us who were serious film photographers did not print every photo and rarely took them to a local processor. I made a contact sheet and decided which ones to print, how to crop, etc. The real magic with film happened in the darkroom with someone who knew what they were doing. Digital seems so MEH to me. Anyone can play around in Lightroom or Photoshop, change things, and then claim skills they don't posess. I guess that is why I think the skill of a photographer as an artist is diminishing. Shooting film required you to think of composition, lighting, aperatures, f-stops, etc. It wasn't something most amatuers understood how to do without a class. You just aren't going to see the "true artists" come along much anymore. It is sad. I guess I can go back to the OLD camera that requires glass negatives. My husband's grandfather made his own negatives and developed them himself. We have some of his glass negatives from WW1 and earlier.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 AM

I have a great Sony digital camera with good zoom and a great Nikon with a couple of zoom lenses. I love to use them both and would hate to have to give up my Nikon because I believe it is superior for taking nature pictures. I do like the option of seeing my pictures on the digital camera before I decide what to keep and print. But, I sure hope no one takes away my Nikon options.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by trisha
I really miss film...I haven't seen a real picture in 5 years. When we moved this year, I told my husband that with all the pictures I hung up, there is not one new one of anybody because they are all on the computer. His computer...could he please print some out sometime??? Yeah right...We have so many from our civil war reenactments that I cannot get to, and no recent pics of anything. I don't have time to look them all up. It is really frustrating because I am not computer literate enough to do it myself. Oh well, I am old too, and I also love the old black and whites.

I love the black and white photos, too. I think they look classy depending on the topic. I too have many great photos stuck on the computer. With film, they are there in my hands to send to my Mom in Michigan. I don't want to have to take my computer on our annual trip. I do know that I can develop them in the digital machines, but often they are out of order or the lines are way to long to stand around in. I'm not happy about how technology changes so quickly and the decisions to make perfectly good and useful items become obsolete without the consumers input. Many seniors and others can't afford to keep up and constantly have to upgrade items that still work perfectly.
Sorry, I just realized I'm rambling on and on. My only excuse is that it is 4:00 in the AM and I have had no sleep. I have been quilting since 7:30 Am yesterday.

Trisha, I don't know how old you are, but I bet you could learn how to print your pictures. It isn't really difficult if you can get someone to help you the first time. I used to be terrified of computers and ended up teaching computer class to the entire school the last four years I was a teacher. Have faith in yourself and jump into technology it won't hurt anything if you make a mistake or two. Good luck if you decide to try.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM

I love my digital camera.... get to see the pictures right away and retake if needed. Don't miss the film at all. What sold me was ; used roll film at my nephew's wedding and lost a whole roll of pictures....film didn't catch. :-(