Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: do you miss film as apposed to digital camera?

there is a story on the news now about how there will be no more kodachrome film being manufactured it is the best film for colors and I do miss the whirr of the camera when the film advanced. but digital is so easy. The film was wonderful for colors for a quilt as compared to digital. No one will develop film anymore after Dec 30

I guess professionl photgraphers that still like to work with film will develop there own. My BIL is a very good ameture photographer and he like to use film sometimes,but I don't think he knows how to develop it. I can see him learning and turning a bathroom into a dark room :)

Blog Entries
    I like putting the movies onto DVD's
    I'm 63 and learning these new toy's.

they won't be making the chemicals to develop it anymore

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Oh no!! I love using both. I have several rolls that need to be developed. Guess I better get them taken care of.

Sometimes I miss the suprise seeing pictures after they are developed, but in general the digital is much better. Cute story about this topic. One of my grand daughters has downes syndrome, she will be 21 in February, loves to take pictures. Used to buy loads of the toss cameras and rolls of film for her. Also had to replace cameras more often, she so enjoyed sharing her snap shots. Now with a digital..well it isn't unusual for her to take 20+ photos a day! Her mom just goes thru the camera to screen her shots....prints really cool ones and posts some to facebook. Of course she takes pictures of some very weird stuff also. Any way point is that digital has opened a whole new world for her and saved the family many dollars in the process.

Love my digital and do not miss film at all. My family is all over the place and it's great to take pictures and send them the same day.

They actually quit making the film last year. It was just so difficult to process the color into it that almost nobody was doing the processing anymore.

They are still making and processing the regular color film, just not this one type.

JJs
    Banned
    I would NEVER go back to film - never, I couldn't afford to take all the photos I wanted to and digital allows me to do that...
    I just got a new camera (after taking almost 10,000 photos with the old one) - not all photos are 'keepers' but hey, "film" is cheap, storage is easy, only print the ones you want, share or not...
    I take pictures almost every day....

I've heard some people talk who haven't quite got the hang of it, they'll say stuff like "I still have room on the memory card" - what????
    doh
    I take pictues, put them on the computer, sort them, delete the bad ones, print some if I want, clear off the memory stick and start over... I NEVER leave photos on the memory cards....
    The great thing about digital (aside from everything else) you can see right away if you need to take another photo - so that 'never to be repeated' moment IS captured and you don't find out weeks/months later that the picture 'didn't turn out'...
    You do have to learn that you don't HAVE to count pictures - no longer restricted to 12 or 20 or 36 photos on a roll - take as many as you want and cull later!!

Blog Entries
    hmmm, i got a great black and white photo with a xmas card and loved it!! but then, i'm old. i also love b&w movies best! everything changes though with time.

I went digital about 5 years ago and have NEVER looked back!
    I'm an "instant gratification" type of woman, so I love being able to see right away if the pics are any good! :)

I guess this means, though, that I'd better get those rolls of film left over from 5 years ago developed! hahaha

Blog Entries
    No, I don't miss film at all, but what I do miss is a viewfinder on my digital. My last camera had a view finder, plus the little screen, and I never used the screen. My current camera only has a screen, and I bought it because I was told that it was easy to see in daylight, BUT IT ISN'T. On a sunny day, I have to guess that I am framing the pic I want, because the screen is almost impossible to see anything. GRRRRR.

I do miss my film. I hung onto my film camera until it got to be more costly. I switched to a small digital point and shoot in 2001 when we moved to Hawaii only because it was easier to be able to send photos via email to family.
    In 2008 I switched my larger camera (slr to a dslr). There are many pros and cons to it. Overall I do believe film puts out a better photograph however most people don't care about that as they shoot for casual purposes, 4x6 size, etc...
    There are still plenty of outlets for professional photographers who enjoy film photography. I have a place in NYC that I order most of my photography stuff from and they have a wide range of film products still available for those who are really, really, really into it.

(I love to quilt but photography is my #1 love) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    there is a story on the news now about how there will be no more kodachrome film being manufactured it is the best film for colors and I do miss the whirr of the camera when the film advanced. but digital is so easy. The film was wonderful for colors for a quilt as compared to digital. No one will develop film anymore after Dec 30
    Just curious, where did you find the info of "no film developed after Dec 30th"? Do you have a link? We still have some regular rolls of film that are not developed.

My Mom certainly miss that I am not sending her a lot of pictures of the kids, but I am happy not to have to spend so much developing. I am trying to get her to get a computer so I can send them to her, but she feels too old to learn it. I keep telling her about how there are so many members of this board older than she is that are using computers and having fun with them. She still buys disposable cameras and having them developed. I know this keeps an industry alive and a handful of people employed, but digital is much easier and you know if the pic is good right away, not weeks or months down the road.

I love the digital too. Saves me so much money,andif the pictures are bad, you can just delete them!

Not in the least!!! They were expensive to have developed and you didn't know what you'd get. Three trips come to mind: San Francisco trip, Hawaii trip and Vancouver Island trip including the Buchart Gardens....ALL three had the camera act up and I have NO pictures for those trips. It was an expensive camera....we had no idea it wasn't taking the pictures because it advanced the film. Expense be da**ed, I threw the camera away after spending $70.00 on development for the last trip. Digital cameras have opened up a whole new world for me!!!!

Blog Entries
    Digital is the way to go, though I have tons of lovely pictures my late DH took. As an artist he had a lovely eye for real beauty. I remember having DS keep him busy in town all day while I drove 50 miles to another town to get ONE lens for his magnificent camera..cost over 300 dollars!! For one lens. DS now has that camera, don't know what he'll do with it since he takes nice pictures with his cell phone. And I like the digital that the kids got me. Sometimes progress is good, sometimes bad. Most of the time we just have to go with the flow, as DH used to say. Just too hard paddling up stream all the time.

With the digital photos, I find that I download and leave them on the computer or disc. I have no photo album anymore and rarely print out pics to show.

it used to be with film, you could get double prints (remember the Fotomat booths?) and send extras to the relatives. Now with everything digital it it like pulling teeth to get kids to send actual photos of GKs to display in frames. I do not have a photo printer, they do.

We have 7 GKs but the top of the piano looks like a shrine to two of them, as their mom is the only one who sends real pictures on a regular basis.

However, I DO love my digital camera.

Nope, I love my digital camera. I used to have to take 3 or 4 pictures of something with the film camera to make sure one come out, and wasted tons of money on film, not to mention storage of pictures. Now I only print a few and the rest I store on my computer and digital picture frame. Love the new cameras.

I love digital

JJs
    Banned
    You do not need a photo printer to print the photos...

If you have a color printer it should work fine - make sure you have the correct paper and settings...

If you have no printer at all, transfer the digital files to a memory card or cd and take it to the photo printer at Walmart, Walgreens etc etc

Or you can order prints online - just upload the files, pay the $$ and wait for the mail...

All I get are digital files... and those I usually download off the kids' pages off Facebook.... I don't wait for them to send files or photos.. and then I print the pics myself

PTquilts said:
    "We have 7 GKs but the top of the piano looks like a shrine to two of them, as their mom is the only one who sends real pictures on a regular basis."

I love my digital camera, and it's been a great learning tool for my DGS Jack. He's three, and after watching me take some pictures asked if he could take pictures, too. Since there wasn't any film to 'waste', I handed him the camera. Once he learned how to keep his fingers away from the lens, he's taken some great pictures! It's fun to download them and see them from his angle. We all look 8 feet tall! Now he's learned to find his pictures on Grandma's puter and make them as big as the screen so he can look at them whenever he's at Grandma's house. With the old-fashioned film, I probably wouldn't have let him try the camera till he was at least 8 years old.

Jack's picture of his Daddy
    Name:  Attachment-147996.jpe
Views: 4
Size:  22.8 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast